My rent to own coop (New Pictures)

Pidgey104

Cochins R Us
16 Years
Nov 10, 2007
Mooresburg TN
Okay I ahve teared down my old coops and bought this coop that I'm renting to own LOL.
It is 8 foot by 12 foot. It have a roof vent, One window and plus I ahve added a dog door. what eles can I do for it? Do I need to add other window? More vents. it gets hot inside but we have been having 100 degree temps here.

Heres the old coop

4828_picture_009.jpg

New coop

4828_picture_010.jpg

4828_picture_014.jpg

Update as of 8/23/10
I bought the run from a guy for $20 we had to tear it down but I think it was well worth it.
Got my Easter Eggers in it til they can be moved into the building.

4828_picture_052.jpg

4828_picture_053.jpg

The window:

Inside of door

4828_birds_001.jpg

Outside side of door

4828_birds_003.jpg

Cages I started building inside:

4828_birds_002.jpg

I am Going to make them 4 foot by 4 foot for either a pair or trio of my cochins in each pen. I am going to have 4 cages.
kind of like this:

4828_untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I would either add a window right across from the one thats in it for a cross breeze or add a bunch of vents in there, I bet it would get hot since its only got the one window. Also can you rig up a screen door for the human door? We did that with our camper coop and I cant believe how cool it stays now! Good luck, and I bet the chickens will love it!

okay plus I think it needs paint before the wod get too Ummm nasty. I thought the reg barn color red with white trim. I just added their run this weekend so I'll ahve to get pics of that also.

also how many birds do you think it would hold safely? Plus I thought about build 2 4 foot by 4 foot pens in the back for a few of my pairs of birds maybe making in double stack so there is four pens. but have to figure out the heat problem first. Maybe just putting in a ac unit in the window LOL

Last edited:
Hi pidgey104, I agree with MomtoSyd&Emma and would put vents in the side of each wall below the peak so hot air would be drawn out. They could be very simple and cheap louvered vents, anything to get a cross wind without letting the rain in. A window opposite the original window would be good too, but the top vents will help with heat best. Definitely paint it! Very nice structure, congratulations on the new coop.

Nice looking coop -- will a box fan fit in your window -- if not give this some consideration when selecting a second window. Ventilation is crucial. The nice thing about a fan is that it can create a breeze OR turned around it can suck out the hot air.

In addition to paint, what many of us do is add vinyl flooring which makes a world of difference when cleaning -- this step alone can add to the life of your coop exponentially. And to the health of your birds. Mites, lice, fleas and all manner of vermin like to sneak into any crevices and crannies they can find. With painted wallls and linoleum flooring they have fewer places to hide, allowing sprays and dusts to find them and eliminate more efficiently.

And when you paint, I am thinking pink.
big_smile.png

Jenny

P.S. Don't laugh about the A/C unit -- I was looking at sale models over the weekend, seriously considering it. I've read too many sad and sorry stores on here of chickens dropping like flies from the heat this summer. The poor things, in 100 degree temps they are dragging around in down coats!! Oy!

Last edited:
Quote:
We are looking at getting a small AC unit for our camper coop!! Our neighbor has some from an old rental unit, and he said we can pick one out that still works when he replaces them!

pidgey it reminds me a lot of my coop... you asked about how many birds you can keep in there safely... at my place they're really only in there to sleep... right now while i grow my chickens to egg laying age.. we are growing a lot of birds out to figure out what we want to keep for good... mine is 9.5 x 6.5 ... and i have 6 roosting bars in there... and i have 21 in there right now... and they're perfectly fine all being together at night

i completely agree with the vinyl flooring... i have it... love it..

you can cut windows in the walls and cover them with hardware cloth.. and you can rig what you cut out to swing down in case you have some weather you want to protect them from...

great coop pidgey

Okay cool thanks guys I will be looking into getting a onther window right across from the other whcih is the side the run is on. I thought about makeing a window on the door with the drop down panel on it also. Just ahve to be careful its still a rental LOL

okay I built a run on the side and bought me a new window for it. Now I just have to paint and put the window in. Plus I bought two vent so Have to figure out where to put that. Updated pictures on frist post.

Back
Top Bottom