My rescued DOM

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I rescued this Dom pullet over a year ago & put her with 10 red hens & 1 red roo. It was a very trying time for her. She struggled through everyone except the roo picking on her. They never hurt her just chased her & pecked her.She's never ever shown aggression to any of them. Well, she has always been on the bottom. I had to take one girl from the flock who was pecked badly by the others no blood just no feathers. I isolated her till her feathers came back.
The other day I finally said today she's going back with the flock. They were ranging & I let her out. I supervised so no one would get hurt. The Dom actually attacked her I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought wow she's finally off the bottom & can strut around like hey I'm someone now. They all settled down & are getting along. Chicken drama is something else.

Last edited:
Everyone is always looking for the opportunity to increase their position. Any perceived weakness will be exploited. Just chicken society at it's finest.

Everyone is always looking for the opportunity to increase their position. Any perceived weakness will be exploited. Just chicken society at it's finest.
I agree I'd just never seen her show aggression ever. I was happy that her rank was changed. She fits in alot better now.The Dom had such a hard time for too long. I know I'm crazy but I can tell she feels more accepted now.Poor thing ranges with 26 red chickens she's the only different one.

Quite frankly, at times, chickens much like humans tend to distrust/dislike that which is perceived as 'different'. They are more instinctual we are supposedly more cerebral - what's our excuse?

Quite frankly, at times, chickens much like humans tend to distrust/dislike that which is perceived as 'different'. They are more instinctual we are supposedly more cerebral - what's our excuse?
Maybe prejudice.I'm glad I have the dom but don't recommend anyone to introduce only one different colored chicken to an existing flock I had a very hard struggle in choosing to do this.She is my favorite & only her & my one roo have names. Its hard to name chickens that all look the same. O I take that back I have one other that has curled toes I call her curly toes. Everyone told me to cull her. I kept her & she lays lots of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom