Chicken on bottom of pecking order question

mich17mak

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
I have an Americana/Easter egger (named Dottie) who is on the bottom of the pecking order. I noticed yesterday she was letting her "buddy" peck close to her earlobe, and I figured the buddy was just getting food or something caught on her feather. Later I checked on Dottie and saw she had a red spot (not bleeding but missing feathers and maybe some pus) and another small bold spot under her check/neck area. I cleaned the area and put her in the coop since I wasn't worried about her at night. I checked up on her this morning through the camera set in our run and saw that another bird was pecking at this area. My question is that Dottie did *not* try to run away...she just stood there still as if to let the other chicken peck at her. Is she letting them peck her for a reason? (I see no mites or anything else of concern). - she does seem like the "dumb blonde" type to be honest! Should I separate her until the wound heals, and if so, can I just put her in a large dog crate with her own food/water and keep that in the run with the others so she can still be near them or is that bad to isolate her that way (meaning the others will see her as isolated and later pick on her more?)? I feel that might be nicer than just putting her in a crate in the garage all by herself. I have 5 hens, all about the same age, but she has the muff feathers and looks different than the rest. They also have a large coop and run (larger than recommended dimensions), so plenty of space for her to get away. Not sure how to go about this. Thanks.

Yes, separate Dottie in the run. The others will continue to pick at that spot. If she’s not trying to get away when the others pick at that wound, then she may be a little more under the weather than you realize. Allow her to heal and worry about reintroductions later. From my experience, if a wound is being targeted by other chickens, they will continue to do so (happened to one of my boys when he had a damaged feather and it bled). I intervened right away and separated him. I hope Dottie recovers soon! ❤️

Do check the on the spot that you think might be infected. If it is, you will want to separate her while she is being treated and heals. My EE had mottled skin in that area though, so hopefully it is fine. You are right though, she will not be happy isolated from the others.
I also have an EE who is missing her muff. Her EE sister without a muff always grooms it away during the spring and summer months. As long as you are sure there aren't any lice or mites and no further damage, I wouldn't interfere too much. Even without her muff, Torchic is one of my happiest chickens. Some people have had luck with Pinless Peepers while others have not. If she is being wounded, you might want to try them.

It's less actual picking and more likely overzealous grooming of beard and muffs. Photos can help us assess the situation. But as long as actual damage isn't done (like blood being drawn), it's ultimately harmless, she'll look a little bare on spots but it doesn't bother them much and the feathers will grow back during molt.

It's less actual picking and more likely overzealous grooming of beard and muffs. Photos can help us assess the situation. But as long as actual damage isn't done (like blood being drawn), it's ultimately harmless, she'll look a little bare on spots but it doesn't bother them much and the feathers will grow back during molt.
It was difficult to get a good pic but it was red and maybe pus-like yesterday when i noticed it for first time. Today it was more brown color. I kept her separated in the same run as the others. She also managed to somehow pull a toenail out and break a piece of her beak off at some point (I was on vacation during her breaking a piece of beak off last week and I just noticed the toenail yesterday)..I don't know how she did all that, but I think she's in some pain as the other day she was in the coop during the day alone.

Attachments

• 20231016_175254.jpg
    20231016_175254.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231016_175130.jpg
    20231016_175130.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 20
It was difficult to get a good pic but it was red and maybe pus-like yesterday when i noticed it for first time. Today it was more brown color. I kept her separated in the same run as the others. She also managed to somehow pull a toenail out and break a piece of her beak off at some point (I was on vacation during her breaking a piece of beak off last week and I just noticed the toenail yesterday)..I don't know how she did all that, but I think she's in some pain as the other day she was in the coop during the day alone.
Thanks for the photo, it wouldn't hurt to separate her (in view of the flock) for a few days and let the scab over hopefully.

Is the toe swollen or is she limping? Is it completely gone or just broken?

How does the beak look? Is it chipped or cracked or is there actually part of it missing? Unfortunately with the beak and toe there might not be much you can do as far as treating it - if either one is cracked/chipped you can file down the broken edge to prevent it from worsening, that's about it.

Thanks for the photo, it wouldn't hurt to separate her (in view of the flock) for a few days and let the scab over hopefully.

Is the toe swollen or is she limping? Is it completely gone or just broken?

How does the beak look? Is it chipped or cracked or is there actually part of it missing? Unfortunately with the beak and toe there might not be much you can do as far as treating it - if either one is cracked/chipped you can file down the broken edge to prevent it from worsening, that's about it.
The toe doesn't appear swollen and she is not limping. It is the right outer-most toe on her right foot, and she will stand on only her left foot from time to time, but she will usually use both feet. Pic of toe and beak included here. Toenail appears completely off compared to her other nails, and an inner part is left with a red tip (looks painful, I don't know if this is a bone under the nail with nerves now exposed).

Beak looks kinda bad because it appears cracked down the center, along with a good portion missing (no blood when I first saw this, so that's good). I read to super glue gauze on it (over the crack), which I did, but apparently that came off in a day. I may super glue the crack without gauze. She does appear to have trouble picking up food sometimes, but I make sure she eats and will give her mushy food if needed (I check her crop before she goes to bed).

Attachments

• 20231016_181659.jpg
    20231016_181659.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231009_125021.jpg
    20231009_125021.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231009_125139.jpg
    20231009_125139.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231009_125201.jpg
    20231009_125201.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 17
I would separate her while the spot on her face heals. Definitely pecking and not grooming. You can put some triple antibiotic on it to help it heal. Don't worry about the toe unless she starts limping. The toenail should grow back fairly quickly. I'm not sure about the beak. I've had a girl with a cracked beak, but not that bad. I would wet her food and make a mash out of it to make eating easier. You can make it fairly soupy - to an oatmeal consistency. My flock thinks mash is the best treat ever.

THis morning her red spot has some green. Read it can be bruising (or some weird disease). She will continue to be separated.

Attachments

• 20231018_091430.jpg
    20231018_091430.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 20
Toe should be ok, the quick is exposed so she may be sensitive on it but don't think there's much you can do as cutting it off with be equally painful. Keep dry, clean bedding in the isolation area.

Beak is pretty bad. Was hoping it was damage more at the tip (where it could be smoothed out or filed off) and not high up and across like that. You can try the super glue, don't think it'll hurt. Wet feed for sure will be easier for her to eat.

I'm not sure what the green stuff is, maybe pus or infection, but not sure if there's anything else going on under there.

Back
Top Bottom