My Resin/plastic coop construction thread :)

I used scrap wood and made a U to cover the pop door.

NOTE : My resin shed is DOUBLE WALLED, about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick space., not single. Inside and outside wall is only about as thick as the single thickness walls but there are spots all along the inside that connect both . If you look at the inside of the shed you can see "channels" that is where both sections meet inside.

@Soon2BChixMom I just used a Jig Saw, was NOT straight at all because I made the hole after it was together. Made big drill holes in corners first then the jig saw. If you can, do it BEFORE you put together.but measure well ! Mine is about 10 inches off the ground. 1 cinder block inside and outside for them to step up on and that not only keeps the shavings in but also keeps shavings kind of out of the door opening
Don't shoot me but the vent is only the large holes on the inside where the roof meets, the upper back vent that comes with the shed, and the door windows that I installed screen and only just hung the plastic window on the inside for Winter.

I will be making adjustments come Spring for a better South window for light/venting

@Soon2BChixMom The shed you have in your thread is the same as mine, but get the 7x7 at Lowes/homedepot. you will WANT the space and it is cheaper there when they have the $100 off sale ;)

Last edited:
The craftsman (suncast) is actually $499 right now plus free delivery. :caf
Although a 7x7 sounds nice, I've got to reign myself in or else might get too crazy with this chicken stuff. Lol.

Ooh. I just checked sears.com and the rubbermaid 7x7 is $549! Got my buying finger ready.... :caf
Lol

Did you do any predator proofing around the bottom? I am thinking of putting down gravel and then cement pavers to make a foundation. Do you think I should still put a hardware cloth apron around the bottom or would it not be needed with the pavers?

Did you do any predator proofing around the bottom? I am thinking of putting down gravel and then cement pavers to make a foundation. Do you think I should still put a hardware cloth apron around the bottom or would it not be needed with the pavers?
we put gravel under it and also in the run, and we did use hardcloth underneath and ran it out about a foot from the underside. rats can chew through wood. and we did have several digging attempts but nothing got in. not even the snake, cement pavers can be moved by predators if they are determined. We are going to be doing our outdoor run with both the hardcloth over and under the fencing. we did not have time before the weather went south on us

The craftsman (suncast) is actually $499 right now plus free delivery. :caf
Although a 7x7 sounds nice, I've got to reign myself in or else might get too crazy with this chicken stuff. Lol.

Ooh. I just checked sears.com and the rubbermaid 7x7 is $549! Got my buying finger ready.... :caf
Lol
I have heard the rubbermaid is better as it's double walled, not sure where you live, but with an 8x10 when it dumps buckets my girls can be inside and still have lots of room to do housekeeping. I only have 7 and 2 ducks, they get a 1/2 kennel extra large to sleep in at night. I do keep food and water in my coop, but we have rats and I'd rather clean up the coop then the run.

we put gravel under it and also in the run, and we did use hardcloth underneath and ran it out about a foot from the underside. rats can chew through wood. and we did have several digging attempts but nothing got in. not even the snake, cement pavers can be moved by predators if they are determined. We are going to be doing our outdoor run with both the hardcloth over and under the fencing. we did not have time before the weather went south on us
Where did you attach the HW cloth?
I am so excited to give this a go because I was about to buy a "bigger" prefab coop and then checked prices of the sheds and was like wait a minute. .. :wee

we put gravel under it and also in the run, and we did use hardcloth underneath and ran it out about a foot from the underside. rats can chew through wood. and we did have several digging attempts but nothing got in. not even the snake, cement pavers can be moved by predators if they are determined. We are going to be doing our outdoor run with both the hardcloth over and under the fencing. we did not have time before the weather went south on us[/QUOTE
that is too funny, we learn from them.
make sure it's got brackets so you can mount your roost and dropping boards, otherwise your going to have to figure out a way to build one.

Where did you attach the HW cloth?
I am so excited to give this a go because I was about to buy a "bigger" prefab coop and then checked prices of the sheds and was like wait a minute. .. :wee
we put down the gravel, leveled it out, then hoisted the frame back up and attached the hardcloth to the bottom with stainless steel staples, then put the frame down, let it settle and added more gravel for drainage and weight then we attached the plywood and metal trim. if I may suggest cover the wood with weather tex fabric like what you see on the side of houses. We are taking ours apart this spring and going to put that on it. Coop wise, I have my smaller coop inside for isolation and playpen introductions, I like having the room. If your a follower of the chicken chick she has partnered with summerhawk ranch and they are producing quality coops to be released in the spring, but they won't be cheap but will be built to last and functional.

I have heard the rubbermaid is better as it's double walled, not sure where you live, but with an 8x10 when it dumps buckets my girls can be inside and still have lots of room to do housekeeping. I only have 7 and 2 ducks, they get a 1/2 kennel extra large to sleep in at night. I do keep food and water in my coop, but we have rats and I'd rather clean up the coop then the run.

Everyone considering a plastic shed for a coop should realize that rodents can gnaw holes in them trying to get to food. That happened to a shed that I was looking at to buy.

Back
Top Bottom