my Rhode Island Red was out overnight in 15 degree temp. Now is wobbly slow to move and vomitted wat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kctpac, Feb 1, 2014.

1. kctpac

kctpac New Egg

May 16, 2013
    she has been indoors in a laundry basket on a dog bed warmer for 20 hours

2. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I had that happen to a RIR mutt this year who escaped and couldn't get back in the pen and got frost all over her... I should of done what you did. She didn't recover and died last week... I would keep her inside and give her pro and prebiotics. Vegetables and anything else that is high in vitamins and minerals.

3. Random Bantam

Random Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I've had three roosters outside all year round for years without any issues.

4. kctpac

kctpac New Egg

May 16, 2013
    Yes I bought some antibiotics and am treating her now, for diarrhea. no of serious frostbite thankfully

Wow she responded nicely to the antibiotics and has recovered nicely.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. Buffmaster Orp

Buffmaster Orp New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Hanover/Midway, CO
    One of my buffs fell asleep on a roost outside one night, its covered so I didnt see her when I locked up, got down to 10, she was fine, no issues. Just depends on the birds I guess.

6. bretsk2500

bretsk2500 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    night before last it was -10F when I got up at 5am... my flock was in their coop in the barn. While it it is always warmer in there than the outside air temp, I doubt it was much above zero in the coop. my 8 birds seem to handle it just fine. it might be because I will toss in a couple ears of feed corn when I check them around dinnertime. they really seem to like those..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by