My RIR is 20 wks and has squatted...when will she start laying?

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
And will the eggs be small first? I have been waiting patiently since getting her the day after she was hatched and now I am getting impatient. Her come and face is reddish, and she has flopped down like twice now and her voice is different...can anyone tell me? Thanks.

Don't worry, you won't have to wait long. My RIRs started laying little eggs about the same age as your's is. And don't be suprised if every once in a while a WHOPPER shows up
smile.png
They won't all be big to start, but they will get bigger as you go along
smile.png

Good luck!

How do I know she laid? Is there any sign?

Also, I have a Silkie too that kind of did what my Cochin does...a kind of Egg-Crow. My cochin attacks everyone else when she's about to lay and takes hours to lay, and she runs back and forth to the nesting box. This was that same noise that my Silkie did but very short like she was practicing cause she went back to doing what she does...but I got an egg and my Cochin usually doesn't lay two days in a row...am I stretching to think it may be the silkie?

I have one RiR that has been laying for a couple months but her eggs remain about medium size. Hope they get bigger as time goes on. I have 13 RIR that should start in a couple of weeks. I specifically ordered this breed for the large egg. Although Rhoda is a wonderfully friendly bird, and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom