1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My RIR is 20 wks and has squatted...when will she start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    And will the eggs be small first? I have been waiting patiently since getting her the day after she was hatched and now I am getting impatient. Her come and face is reddish, and she has flopped down like twice now and her voice is different...can anyone tell me? Thanks.

2. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Don't worry, you won't have to wait long. My RIRs started laying little eggs about the same age as your's is. And don't be suprised if every once in a while a WHOPPER shows up [​IMG] They won't all be big to start, but they will get bigger as you go along [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    All we can tell you is "soon". [​IMG] Within a couple of weeks, likely.
    Congratulations!!!

4. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    How do I know she laid? Is there any sign?

Also, I have a Silkie too that kind of did what my Cochin does...a kind of Egg-Crow. My cochin attacks everyone else when she's about to lay and takes hours to lay, and she runs back and forth to the nesting box. This was that same noise that my Silkie did but very short like she was practicing cause she went back to doing what she does...but I got an egg and my Cochin usually doesn't lay two days in a row...am I stretching to think it may be the silkie?

5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    She will lay an egg tomorrow.
    I swear.

(Kidding).

6. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    LOL.

7. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Baycitybabe, your avatar will give me nightmares for weeks.

8. bipebbles

bipebbles Out Of The Brooder

Quote:[​IMG]

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Yep, probably within a couple weeks. Mine started laying at 22 weeks. Now at 28 and 30 weeks, I'm getting at least large eggs most of the week.

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have one RiR that has been laying for a couple months but her eggs remain about medium size. Hope they get bigger as time goes on. I have 13 RIR that should start in a couple of weeks. I specifically ordered this breed for the large egg. Although Rhoda is a wonderfully friendly bird, and beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by