My RIR is a dud. ***UPDATE***

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Mar 12, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    My worst layer is my 10-month-old RIR. She started out great, and laid almost every day for about 3 months. Then practically nothing. Over the winter I got a couple of doulbe-shelled eggs, shell-less eggs, and misshapen eggs. But mostly nothing, day after day. She hasn't laid in weeks, although I get about 2 eggs a day from the other three hens. On the rare occasion when I do get an egg from the RIR, it's usually small, pale, and thin-shelled. What could be wrong with my her? She looks great and acts perfectly healthy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'd keep an eye on her. Sounds like her egg-processing plumbing isn't doing so well.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Probably just the way she was made. On a production farm, she'd be culled and no chicks hatched from her.

Keep a watch on her for any dangerous egg laying issues, like being egg bound, internal layer, etc.

If she is a healthy chicken otherwise, you can just enjoy her as part of the flock for entertainment value.

4. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:She is entertaining. She's by far the biggest dingbat in the flock. She's always getting distracted when free-ranging. The others will have moved on to a new area--and then Rue discovers that she's "all alone." She has a big panic attack, and goes squawking and running after the others. It's the same thing, over and over! [​IMG]

5. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    OK, she just made a liar out of me. This morning she laid the biggest egg we've gotten from ANY of the girls: 2.5 ounces. It had her trademark (small) wrinkles on the large end, but other than that it was perfect. And I know it's her egg, because I saw her in the nest.

6. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    congrats!

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Just like kids..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by