my roo attacked both my kids on several occasions. need help please.

starlingsbaby

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Lawtey Florida

I have a almost 1 yr old barred rock roo. and 19 hens. i let them out in the mornings and he has attacked bot my boys. one is 6 and one is 8 and he has attacked both my kids. ands he has done it atleast once a day for the last week. i do not know what to do wiht him cause he has attcked me 3 times as well. i dont want to kill him because he is big and beautiful and is great with the hens but i am scared he will hurt one of my kids or their friends when he gets his spurs. so if ANY ONE CAN OFFER HELP I WEOULD BE THANKFUL.

There is a thread (or a few) on aggressive roos. I had a BR roo also and he became very aggressive. I did a lot of things people recommended, like picking him up and carrying him around, flipping him for short periods on his back or upside down, pushing him out of the way with my feet, etc, but he would still charge me. He bit my daughter a couple times and the final straw was a really bad bite on the back of her calf and by her eye when she was hand feeding the girls! There are too many really nice roosters out there to keep an aggressive one in my opinion. I accidentally ended up with a Japenese bantam that I raised as a chick and he is a sweetheart. I am really glad I culled my BR. I'm looking to get a Salmon Faverolles, Brahma, or other docile breed of rooster.

You can try changing his behavior but it's unlikely to work IMO. He is likely to get more aggressive as he matures, not less. If you can't kill him, move him on elsewhere with full disclosure. One of mine actually was polite on another farm. Your boys are the first priority; he could really do harm to a short person.. There are many lovely roosters out there; get a better boy!!! Mary

Not worth taking a chance that he might permanently scar or hurt your childrens' eyes. A rooster that large could do serious permanent damage to a child.

Back
Top Bottom