my roo has been bad about attacking me and he seems to have gotten worse today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amillecay, Feb 28, 2012.

1. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Today I went out to the chickens to check on them and my roo was fine then I did what I normaly do every day which is walk behind him stomping you know to show him that i'm the boss but... I don't think it's working because every time I walk up to him he just stops and gets kinda crazy with attacking me is it just because it's spring and this is when they are mating or what? I can't have this happening all the time so I either have to figure this out or I have to get rid of him but I really don't want to do that I will if I have to though :/..... He is some kind of Marans mix

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How do you react when he attacks- do you show fear and move away or stand your ground? What I do for attacking roosters:
    Option 1-for frontal attacks, I wait and get ready for that little sucker. And when he gets to it, I grab him and push him to the ground. Then I hold him there and use my fingers to "peck" him in the head. Or even better, another chicken comes over and pecks the turd. He stays on the ground until he's calm and sometimes even after that. Completely humiliating, or at least it must be, I usually don't have to repeat. If the behavior does persist, see option 2....
    Option 2-For unexpected attacks from behind/side/for sneaky boys, roosters that attack me from behind get a special neck tie to wear. Then they get to meat Mr. Hatchet for a neck massage, and then they get a nice, cushy stay at Camp Kenmore. I refuse to look over my shoulder, or have a rooster sneaky enough to come up behind me.
    There are lots of nice roos out there, and nasty ones are easily replaced, in my opinion. Good luck.

3. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I don't have alot of know how about aggressive roos. Mine fortunately is a gentleman. Does he act that way when you are just moving around the yard? If he is fine with that, why stomp at him? I have never heard of that one. I have heard of holding them upside down until they chill out though. I think he may be thinking your challenging him instead of showing him who is boss? My roo just moves out of the way. He'll even let me pick up the girls. He doesn't like to be picked up so I respect that. Just try not to do the stomping thing if he isn't the one to start it and see where that goes maybe?

4. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    mean roosters taste better!!!!!!!!! get a new roo.... no sense in putting up with a mean one when theres lots of good ones out there.... plus you don't want him passing his meanness onto his chicks....... eat him!!!! if you can't do the deed, give him away, but warn whoever takes him....

5. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011

6. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011

7. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    I had been thinking about it but i just don't want to get rid of this guy!! I think i'm gonna wait a little bit longer before i decide anything like that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by