My roo is shredding his lady

VictorVictoria

Chirping
Aug 15, 2020
I have one rooster to nine hens. He has a favorite that now is badly scraped on her back and missing feathers. She is actively laying so I’m wondering if it is best to leave her with the flock of ladies and remove the roo, or should I bring her inside to heal? I want what is best for her and am not sure if it’s best to isolate her if that is overly stressful or not. Suggestions please!

Got a good look now that it is nighttime. She has a pretty good skin tear but little bleeding. I’ve stuffed antibiotic in there but that’s all. She is now inside with us and tomorrow we will deal with roo. Can she be given aspirin for the pain I assume she is in? I read somewhere baby aspirin was ok?

Got a good look now that it is nighttime. She has a pretty good skin tear but little bleeding. I’ve stuffed antibiotic in there but that’s all. She is now inside with us and tomorrow we will deal with roo. Can she be given aspirin for the pain I assume she is in? I read somewhere baby aspirin was ok?
One of my hens got her leg caught in a wire dog cage. Couldn't put much weight on it at all. Weighed probably 2 lbs. I gave 1 81 mg baby aspirin morning and night. Just popped it in her mouth. Good luck.

One of my hens got her leg caught in a wire dog cage. Couldn't put much weight on it at all. Weighed probably 2 lbs. I gave 1 81 mg baby aspirin morning and night. Just popped it in her mouth. Good luck.
Well, we tried everything. He was separated for six weeks. Introduced in the afternoon, stayed in coop with ladies overnight and the next morning when I let them out all hell broke loose. My hens were cowering, he was on a rampage and the same poor girl was bouncing off the walls running for her life. He went into the freezer the next day

Well, we tried everything. He was separated for six weeks. Introduced in the afternoon, stayed in coop with ladies overnight and the next morning when I let them out all hell broke loose. My hens were cowering, he was on a rampage and the same poor girl was bouncing off the walls running for her life. He went into the freezer the next day

Yes, reintroducing a hormonal rooster in spring will do that. It can be hard for us humans to watch but unless a chicken is being killed, it is best to not intervene in hierarchy dynamics. I recommend not getting a rooster again unless you want fertile eggs, as you will have to watch this dance over and over. Roosters and putting up with them, just isn't for everyone. No reason to go through it unless you have to. :)

Yes, reintroducing a hormonal rooster in spring will do that. It can be hard for us humans to watch but unless a chicken is being killed, it is best to not intervene in hierarchy dynamics. I recommend not getting a rooster again unless you want fertile eggs, as you will have to watch this dance over and over. Roosters and putting up with them, just isn't for everyone. No reason to go through it unless you have to. :)
Thank you for your kind advice. He was not part of the plan, as we only ordered pullets, and we unfortunate ended up with the roo. We tried our best to re home him and tried to make it work for him, but you are right, it just wasn’t for us.

Thank you for your kind advice. He was not part of the plan, as we only ordered pullets, and we unfortunate ended up with the roo. We tried our best to re home him and tried to make it work for him, but you are right, it just wasn’t for us.

I know how hard it can be to rehome a roo. Around June and July craigslist is full of nothing but free roosters, unless the rooster is the most eye catching rooster out there, you tend to get no replies at all. Nothing wrong with adding an unwanted roo to the pot but I understand wanted to try everything you can first. Sounds like you did all you could to make the situation work, at least the stress is over now.

Back
Top Bottom