My Rooster covered in someones BLOOD?

SuperBird

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
New Jersey
Yesterday my rooster Chub Chub came over with his chest pumped out and crowing like crazy. To my HORROR he was covered in BLOOD !? First thought was that he was severely hurt. Grabbed him and washed him down with the water hose. He didn't have any wounds at all. So, I thought maybe he attacked one of the hens but, they were all still in the hen house locked up? Chub Chub was still strutting around following me crowing. I noticed around the Hen House blood splattered around and a trail leading off into the field.

1. What could he have fought ? 2. He has so much blood on him ( dry and caked into his feathers ) and I can't get it all off, any suggestions or will it eventually just come off ?

PS - didn't want to post the gruesome pictures. Thank goodness he is Okay.

Further inspection around the Coop and Hen House I noticed some holes like something has been trying to dig its way in?

Funny thing is a few days ago 2 Black Vultures were hanging around and one started attacking the Hen House and had the Hens screaming distress calls. When I went out the Vultures flew into a tree and then eventually flew away. I haven't seen them since. Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Might have been a small bird of prey.. one of my Leghorn roosters attacked and killed a small owl right in front of me last fall
sickbyc.gif
flogged and tore into the little owl's neck like it was nothing.. good for your rooster
wink.png
what a champ!

Back
Top Bottom