My rooster has favus! Help Please!

Chicken0Boy

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Upstate of South Carolina
I have older post about this, but they never really did anything.
hmm.png
I think this sounds like favus, at first I didn't really know, but now it has progressed. He has a few white spots and his comb is flakey and powdery. He is eating normal, doing his job, about everything a normal chicken does. I will get some pics of it tomorrow. Here are my questions

1.Should I quarantine him?
2.What do I need to do to prevent it from spreading to the flock?
3.How do I cure it? I have just started putting Nystatin on the comb and wattles.
4. Anything else I should know about this topic?

Thanks you guys! Please Help because I am worried.
hide.gif

I wish I could help, but I don't have experience with favus. Have you done a a search here on BYC for it? I know Speckledhen has dealt with it before on a rooster she had gotten, you could send her a PM.

edited to add - Get your pics up as soon as you can. Once you post pictures, you'll likely get a lot more responses then.

Last edited:
Favus

Extracted From:

A Pocket Guide to
Poultry Health
and
Disease

By Paul McMullin
00a9.png
Click Here to
Order Your Copy

Introduction
A fungal infection, Trichophyton gallinae, of chickens and turkeys. It is very rare in commercial poultry production.

Signs

•White, powdery spots and wrinkled crusts and scab on comb and wattles.
•Feather loss.
•'Honeycomb' skin.
•Thick crusty skin.
•Loss of condition.
Post-mortem lesions

•See signs (above).
Diagnosis
Lesions, isolation.

Treatment
Formalin in petroleum jelly.

Prevention
Good hygiene of facilities, culling affected birds.

Thats all I know as well.

See the peeling on the side of this boy's face? That is favus. Sometimes a dry comb will look like favus, but this time of year, we see lots of dry combs. That rooster was being kept in a very wet, nasty environment and had favus and lice.

DCP_4878.jpg

Back
Top Bottom