My Rooster Has isn't walking on one foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lvemychickens, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Lvemychickens

Lvemychickens New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    I have a 2 yr old American Rooster. That 2 days ao he started limbing, then yesterday wouldn't walk at all. When my husband and I looked him over his foot and ankle looked swollen and was hot to the touch and he reacted as i it was sore or hurt him or me to touch it. I saw I can give him some baby asprin I will do that today do I just dissolve it put in dropper or him or can I put the pill down his throat?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes you can put the low dose aspirin in the back of his throat and he will swallow it. He could have sprained or broken his foot, possibly from jumping down from a high roost. Look at the bottom of his foot for any signs of bumblefoot--red, swollen, and a dark spot.) There are also infectious diseases or bacterial infections that can affect bones as well. I would confine him inside the coop with food and water for at least 2 weeks to force rest of the ankle. Give him a dissolved B Complex tablet in his water daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by