My rooster is acting drunk and loosing feathers, acting strange:(

lvinmole

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Dearfield
My sweet Rhode Island Red rooster is kinda acting drunk and loosing feathers... He will normally let me pick him up but usually he will peck ya if your hand gets within range.. He is just acting strange, he usually attacks the other rooster when he's being mean to us a week ago I did notice he started loosing those battles with the other rooster... But now nothing, I haven't seen him eat either or drink... He wasn't interested in the veggies I took out this morning.. It's been this way for a week at least, but it started just with the feathers I thought maybe he was molting...(a lot of my hens continued to lay through the winter so I still don't know what molting is supposed to be like exactly)... When I picked him up yesterday to look him over, I was stroking him and he dropped his head and closed his eyes... Usually he stays very alert when handling him and petting him....when I put him down it took him a second to come to and then he stumbled back under the coop.... He was born oct. 10th 2011....so about a year and a half old, all the other chickens seem to be acting fine... I deep clean the coop every 4-5 months.. And just clean it every 2-3 months or so.. They have auto waterers and always have feed and we take out veggies every so often as long as they are not moldy....we recently had an issue with coyotes taking hens and mole would give chase, so I had to make them a fenced enclosure... They haven't roamed the whole pasture in about 3 weeks...any help would be appreciated, thanks

I have secluded him with some food water/Gatorade (only thing I could find with electrolytes) and I gave him some yogurt.... Any help would be appreciated....

I know this is too little, too late, but for future reference, I just went through the same thing with my Faverolle. The vet said it was most likely Mareks and I had to put her down. I'm trying to prevent the spread to the rest of the flock now. I washed down the inside of the coop where dander and feathers would be and raked up all feathers i could find...

He actually had an ear infection :) I took him to a friend that is a large animal vet tech... she gave him 2 shots I gave him 2 shots the next day(by that morning he was crowing again) and i put ear infection medicine in his ears for 10 days and he has been great ever since!!! I hope its not to late and maybe you can try something else...

Oh by the time I took him.. he was so bad he layed in my lap for 2 hours while I waited for my friend to get to me between other appointments.. the only reason I knew he was alive was because my hand was under his breast feathers and I could feel him breathing.. a dog even came in and he barley lifted his head.. when I put him down he just rolled to his side eyes closed and limp.. it was scary.. I'm so glad it wasn't serious. . He is really awesome!!! My friend said bird are strange.. if they are in pain or uncomfortable they won't eat or drink.. that's what causes the drunk behavior. . And then they die of starvation/dehidration before anyone knows anything is wrong... crazy birds!!

Back
Top Bottom