My rooster is always attacking me!!!

Once they start showing they are in charge of you they will always do it. A good swift kick or a knock in the head with a big stick is what he needs. My RIR tried to attack me one time and I tried to put him through the fence with my foot. Only took one time, now I can walk in and pet him if I want. My mother is scared of him and he still runs after her but she just waves her walking stick around crazy instead of actually putting it to use.
You gotta show them you are the top of the pecking order.

Crockpot therapy works best for this kind of rooster. No matter how many times you put him in his place as soon as you turn your back he will come for you. Owning is flock is supposed to be fun, don't let this guy ruin your enjoyment.

Hey guys! I currently have 9 chickens, 7 hens and 2 roosters but the main rooster won’t stop attacking me when I go outside with them. I feed them every morning and give them treats and fresh fruit a couple times a week and I’m outside most of the time! But I’ll be giving them fruit or going to go get our eggs and he just comes as fast as he can to come and get me! Now he’s not consistent though he’ll do it some times but not all the times but it’s so random and today he really scared me to the point where I couldn’t even move for 5 minutes because I was so scared of him and he was just in front of me not letting me take a step. idk what to do about it! Please help!
12 gauge

I have the same problem, and this is what he did to me just yesterday. I will be bringing him to a local farm that will take him. Boy did I cus him out yesterday. It was like i was on candid camera, he chased me have way across the yard. Its funny today and my kids wish they had it on video. lol My Roo has been attacking me on and off for about 2 weeks now but after he dug his nails in me, he is gone. (but I cant bring myself to do it, so off to the farm he goes).

Attachments

• G%A+Z7XWT6mM79hpkWu1ow.jpg
    G%A+Z7XWT6mM79hpkWu1ow.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 3
Anyone Wanna Hear My Opinion?

Personally, I'm happy to see someone else with this view!
The roos are actually doing a wonderful job defending their flock from 'predators'- just because we happen to be the predators doesn't change things for them...

I agree with this. people get told they have the 'wrong' ratio, when in fact SOME roos can be fine with 30 hens or 3.

Yay!

I want to say, I see both sides. On the one hand, an aggressive roo can be dangerous and unpredictable for the farmyard.

On the other hand, he's just trying to protect his girls.

I myself would try to discourage the roo from violence before culling him.

On another note, someone we know has a lot of hens.
They kept being attacked and eaten by various predators.

Then they got a roo.
I'm not saying he was a sweetie.
Because he isn't.
In fact, he's aggressive to the people around him, and by that I mean rushing at those who try to collect the eggs so they shove him off with a broom.

But they just keep a broom handy.

And they've not had a single other attack.

Now, if this roo is a danger to you I'm not telling to to keep him.
I'm just agreeing with @Shadrach on this point: He's not to blame, he's not being malicious... its natural for him.
We all KNOW this, but thinking about it helps to see things from another aspect.

@JadeFarms has a lot of roos also.
Personally I would keep an aggressive rooster. I have never had a skittish rooster do a good job of taking care of a flock. I have never culled an aggressive rooster because I find them to be amazing protectors to the hens and they tend to care about the hens more. I find no need at all for keeping an aggressive rooster since I can keep it locked up when I need to.

For some people I do understand why they want to cull and although I wouldn’t do it, I do believe that if they feel the need to cull them they should. It’s not hurting the rooster and it’s saving them from having people get hurt but they are losing an amazing protection rooster.

I'm glad that Shadrack's flock management plan works for him, having acres of ground, multiple roosters in multiple small flocks as part of his total chicken numbers, and the ability to keep all human visitors, large and small, away from the birds.
That's not true for many small flock keepers here, especially those folks living on small plots of land, and people new to chickens.
Also, I understand that the fighting bird people had no tolerance for 'man fighters', those human aggressive roosters, and culled them. So, birds willing to kill each other were also polite to the humans around them. Genetics! It's amazing sometimes.
It's also possible that liability laws are very different in Spain, and in the USA, having a known dangerous animal is not so good if someone in injured, especially a child.
My first rooster, a little bantam, would fly up to my eye level to attack me every day, in spite of every 'behavior modification' technique we tried. Was he looking out for actual predators? Not so much. Life is too short to excuse such behavior here!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom