My rooster is always attacking me!!!

You may want it to be a discussion about rehoming a rooster, but what the OP has asked for is advice on what to do about what they percieve at a threatening rooster.
One of the options offered is rehoming. Another of the options offered is killing him and eating him. Both possible options.
I'm suggesting there may just be an alternative where the keeper learns something about why the rooster is threatening and what she could do to ease the situation.
I can't see why you should have a problem with that.
I would second this. If you can put in time I believe that you may be able to salvage the situation. You should always consider modification of your and the roosters relationship and behaviors.

I add that you need to consider the state of your flock. Do you care about their relationships with each other. Be assured that they have bonds and the flock will react to any changes that are made, positive and negative. Also, what is your relationship with the flock and what do you want it to be? All of this should be considered before any action is taken.

Hey guys! I currently have 9 chickens, 7 hens and 2 roosters but the main rooster won’t stop attacking me when I go outside with them. I feed them every morning and give them treats and fresh fruit a couple times a week and I’m outside most of the time! But I’ll be giving them fruit or going to go get our eggs and he just comes as fast as he can to come and get me! Now he’s not consistent though he’ll do it some times but not all the times but it’s so random and today he really scared me to the point where I couldn’t even move for 5 minutes because I was so scared of him and he was just in front of me not letting me take a step. idk what to do about it! Please help!
seems he should go, however you're comfortable.. the ratio is off.. ideally u want 1 roo to 10 to 12 hens.. could be part of his attitude, but honestly you have to be safe. if u can not bear the thought of culling or rehoming to a situation where the dynamic is completely different.. perhaps add more hens, or seperate roos from hens, thus taking away his reason for defenceivness... sending good thoughts and please keep us posted.

I skimmed the wall of text. The logic seemed to go with progression by scenario — largely “whatiffs”, tenuously related hypotheticals.

This was the only part of the post that was really out there though.
It's got to be a more constructive approach than killing anything that exhibits unacceptable behaviour hsn't it?

Just for clarification (aaaand to be a bit cheeky too), when my son talks back he gets put on restriction. Not executed.

PS - the cat peed on the rug last year and she’s still going strong too. :lol:

I think I'll just ignore the personal comments and tell you a story.
When I first started looking after chickens, (yep, roosters as well, they do after all reperesnt 50% of chickens ;)) some 50 years ago on my Uncles farm, great pride was evident on how aggressive the free range cocks were. I'm British and we call roosters cocks. The aggressive roosters fared a lot better at keeping their hens safe from predators and in a free range environment, and some speed and skill was required when collecting the hens eggs, if one wasn't to end up getting flogged by an irrate cock.
I can't help wondering if the desire amoung many keepers to have some fluffy cuddle butt for a rooster to the extent of killling off those that show even the slightest human aggression will in the end producing cocks that are incapable of carrying out their primary function; that is to protect the hens, their hens nests and the eggs in the nest and carry their genes forward.
I've got six cocks here currently, all free range and I'm happy to write that over the last ten years about 70% of the cocks that have lived here have shown some degree of human aggression. I'm also happy to write that I have never had to kill one for it's behaviour towards me.
The rule here is children, nervous people and those unused to farm animals and a farm environment are warned not to go near the cocks, the broody hens with chicks, not to stick their hands in the coops hoping to find eggs and not to go in the field with the donkeys, the ram, or pester the ducks. All are dangerous to varying degrees if they feel threatened.

While I greatly respect @Shadrach ’s experience and knowledge, I think a big part of the issue here is just what has been said. Not everyone wants or needs a cockbird/rooster/etc to be that extremely protective, since most people don’t have the setup for them - they want the quiet fluffy butt because he doesn’t detract from their enjoyment of their birds but is still present to watch over the hens and provide fertilized eggs if wanted. There can be a balance of those things. These people, yes, will want a quieter, less or not at all aggressive male in there because they are always in close quarters with them.

I currently have a young Icelandic cockerel that I hatched and raised. He’s now 6 months old. From the beginning he was very obviously male, puffed his chest and chest bumped my hand in the brooder, herded the other chicks around... we work around each other fine, even though my birds are confined for most of the day. He comes to me when I enter, but maintains a respectable distance; I call him to me when I bring food, then he calls the hens in turn. He once started to dance for me, which ended quickly when I moved quickly towards him and he had to hustle to not get stepped on. Hasn’t tried it since. It also helps I have an older pullet that keeps him well in line, and ensures he’s not being a bully. I’m confident he will be a well adjusted, gentleman of a rooster when grown.

As an example. Cattle have long been bred with an eye to docility in bulls (even so far as to generate an EPD for it) because when you’re working closely with them, especially on foot, those animals are much safer to be around. (and easier on your facilities). Are there places where a much more aggressive/protective bull would be a better choice? Absolutely! Range cattle that are out on acres and acres with a multitude of predators around definitely should have that instinct. A handful of cows in the backyard or even a small operation of 50-100 head where you’re on the ground amongst them all the time, and the furthest they may go is a mile from home? A docile, non human aggressive bull is the more sensible option.

Every situation has its limitations and needs. If the OP is interested in keeping this bird and wants to work through it, taking some of the suggestions to not take eggs when he’s there, etc is reasonable. Taking some precautions to ensure no one is injured is also prudent. If children are involved in the day to day chicken keeping, it may be better for all parties involved to remove the rooster from the situation.

Back to the cattle example. What happens to overly aggressive bulls or bulls that don’t fit within a management system? They go elsewhere, whether it’s to another farm that fits their abilities or on the plate.

Not everyone has the ability, desire, or confidence to work with a more “normal” aggressive rooster. 🤷🏼‍♀️

My rooster does this too. Luckily he’s a little bantam so he doesn’t do much damage. When I go into the chicken runI take a short broom with me and keep the broom between he and I.

He still jumps in my lap for some reason, mainly to threaten me. In between attacks I get some nice pics of him. I keep the phone between him and my face and keep my glasses on invade he goes for my eyes.

He’s so damn pretty though.
A8C5BB7C-BEFE-4F83-AB45-4F912DE1F6EE.jpeg

Hey guys! I currently have 9 chickens, 7 hens and 2 roosters but the main rooster won’t stop attacking me when I go outside with them. I feed them every morning and give them treats and fresh fruit a couple times a week and I’m outside most of the time! But I’ll be giving them fruit or going to go get our eggs and he just comes as fast as he can to come and get me! Now he’s not consistent though he’ll do it some times but not all the times but it’s so random and today he really scared me to the point where I couldn’t even move for 5 minutes because I was so scared of him and he was just in front of me not letting me take a step. idk what to do about it! Please help!
Roosters can be a good thing and take care of the girls but one that attacks you or others needs to go away. Mine have spurs way over an inch long and they hurt! Personally I'd make Rooster Stew with him like any mean ones I've had. Maybe if you don't want to kill him yourself find someone needing a rooster or that wants some soup. They won't change and become nice fellows. The can turn from nice to mean though.

Back
Top Bottom