My rooster is dieing and I have no idea why!

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I have an 8 month old silkie/leghorn boy that went downhill very quickly. He was fine this morning. I get home from work and noticed him standing near my blind girl who had apparently escaped her pen. I scoop up the blind girl get her settled and didn't really notice anything with him. So I go about doing their feed and water and notice one of his favorite hens was not with her chicks and find her laying with him under a bush. He was panting at that time and thought he was hot and gave them their food and water by the bush. Going ahead, he did come into the coop but was not acting himself at all. I get him to check him out and he is lethargic and his eyes are closed. He has drank a few sips of water here and there but that is decreasing now also. I put vitamins and electrolytes and an antibiotic in his water just in case. He has absolutely no visible signs of injury. He did poo and that was normal color but maybe on the dry side. He sounds stuffy now, like someone with a stuffy nose. He has this really strange large comb and I really can't see his nostrils to see if they are blocked or anything but I have not seen any discharge on his face. He has not eaten at all.
I am at a loss as to what might be wrong and what to do for him. I did bring him in the house and offer water but now he really isn't taking that either. When I had lifted him up, a sound sort of like a burp came from him.
I do have other roos but there are no injuries on him whatsoever so I don't think anyone did anything too him. I thought at first he might have gotten hurt protecting the blind girl from the other boys or something??
I suppose he could have found something and ate what he shouldn't have but I have no idea what it might had been if he did because I don't know what it could have been. He is going downhill fast whatever it is. He is one of my favorite roos and helps take care of the chicks. I am so upset right now because I don't know what to do for him!

i would definitely separate him and bring him inside in a crate of somesort. Get him food, and water with electrolytes. Plus yogurt i hear is a superfood for chickees. Keep him warm and hope for the best! Check him for maggots (esp. around vent area) mites, and any odd lumps. Also post pics! This always helps.

Check under his wings for blue bugs. They are very small and can affect the chickens very fast. Sevin dust will get rid of them.
Good luck.

I did bring him in the house and add the vitamins with eletrolytes and antibiotics in his water but he only took a sip or two. I did not see any mites or lice on him. I am going to check his vent area to see if anything is there but I have been holding him alot and did not see anything or have anything on me. I just don't know what happened or what to do for him. I don't know what to take a picture of, he is just laying there.

The heat takes a toll on some of them. I would work on getting him cooled down, he may be too exhausted to drink right now. You may want to take a syringe and give him little drinks at a time. I wouldn't worry so much about the food intake as the water intake.

I did not see anything on him. No injuries, nothing! He is sleeping standing up with his head down. His comb looks nice and pink but he sounds congested. He goes from the stuffy nose sound to a moister sound. he took another sip or two for me. His favorite girl, the one that stayed with him has 7 chicks that are about a month old. His girl and all the chicks seem fine.
I am just at a loss how it happened so quickly. I will let him rest tonight and if he is still here tomorrow, I will bring the blind girl in with him. She would make a good buddy for him.
Would it hurt to dust him for mites being so weak right now as a just in case?

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend bringing his girl in for him, just in case he has something that she could acquire from him. Can you see any bubbles in his eyes, or a watery look to them?

His eyes look dry and his vent looks fine and no signs of lice or mites. He did drink a bit more for me this time but towards the end it was just running back out his beak. It does appear that he is mouth breathing.
You are right. Good idea about not bringing a buddy in with him.

Back
Top Bottom