My Rooster is Misbehaving!

DWilkins

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
We have a two year old Silkie rooster and a two year old Silkie hen. We recently decided to add a new young female into the mix. ( she is also silkie) The rooster who is usually a nice boy isn't taking to the new young female at all.When our first hen was killed by a dog, we brought home another hen for him and they got a long great! He did his dance around her a few times and it was all good.We can't understand why he is acting this way towards the new female. She is a lot younger then the other two ( 4 months or so). The other hen is fine with her, doesn't seem to even care that she is there. We just got the new hen a day ago, so we aren't ready to give up, but we are also concerned that the rooster will seriously hurt the new young bird or even kill her. Do we keep trying to get the rooster to accept the new member of the family or his he just not tolerant of other birds?

Yup.. it's a hen.. She laid an egg the day we brought her home. After I posted this , I went home and watched them interact. (They free range while we are home , but are locked up while we are not.) The rooster was much more tolerable of her. She was actually hanging with the other hen and rooster. Occasionally he would run at her, fluff out his chest, and give her a little shove and a peck.( This is what he was doing a day ago , only with much more frequency). He also seems very protective of the first hen. Last night as they all went in to roost, the rooster pecked her a couple times and that was it. We watched them and checked on them a few times during the night and all was well.This morning, to keep the rooster from being a meanie... we put her in a cage and set it in the out side enclosed pen. This way they can be around one another without us having to worry about her being picked on by the rooster. She is a tough little girl even with the rooster being a little rough she doesn't run away and holds her ground.. as if to say..... " I am here... I am not leaving.... so deal with it!" lol :) He does act like he is starting to accept her somewhat. Question.... His is possibly trying to mate with her and this is part of it?

PS.... Roosterlover5 ..... When we first got her.. the rooster was running after her and ..pecking at her.

Last edited:
You were correct Roosterlover.... he and she are getting along just fine :)

Glad to hear it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom