My rooster is not well

i wish you were near, so i didn't had to do this alone but I'm still very thankful to you. thank you so much for letting me know bout this all, i was thinking it's just swollen & it ll get better with in few days, okay let me know much time it ll take for his foot to heal after the surgery? And can he stand after it? should I let him walk? Or it ll hurt? Also are you sure he ll not get sick after it? Like maybe he get sick because of the pain because my baby is very sensitive & what stuff i need for the surgery? and one more he doesn't sit in one place like how I'll manage him not to move around during the surgery? what if he decide to kick me off, there's so many questions are rushing through my head. i love him so much i really wish there was an other way because this is very painful, i need a really big heart for this, also please explain me everything when you did it for the first time? And does it bleed too much? & how do i stop it? & what medicine should i use before the bandage? & how your chickens are now? I'm sure it ll take a lot of your time to write but I'm really worried. just tell me everything so i can start it, & one more thing this happened yesterday after the jump his palm got swollen it appeared yesterday

This is the picture

Honey, you need to read that thread I linked you to by our member "ruth" who showed the surgery step by step. It will show you better than I can tell you. One thing you may not know is that chickens and other avians cannot tolerate pain killers generally. Any pain killer with "caine" like benzocaine or lidocaine should not be given because, especially in an open wound, it can be fatal. The pain killer pramoxine in the triple antibiotic ointment seems to be tolerated okay, but it's best to avoid pain killers other than maybe baby aspirin. He can have that, the low 81 mg dose stuff, one a day. It may help with some of the pain. It takes a little while for the pain to subside, but once the infection is out and the swelling can go down, he'll be much more comfortable.

I took him to a vet. & he removed that but the thing is my rooster lost a lot of blood, and it took him to long to take that thing out, it was so painful for my rooster, it was bout yesterday and the doctor said we ll change the bandage in two days, but i need to ask you something

I took him to a vet. & he removed that but the thing is my rooster lost a lot of blood, and it took him to long to take that thing out, it was so painful for my rooster, it was bout yesterday and the doctor said we ll change the bandage in two days, but i need to ask you something

One thing you will find out if you continue to keep chickens. Most vets have no idea what they're doing when it comes to chickens. He really should not have lost a lot of blood if the vet did it right. He probably dug in too far, is what I'm thinking.

Almost every one of us does our own bumblefoot surgery. Vets will sometimes treat chickens, but they won't admit they are doing it blindly. Sad, really. They'll charge you anyway and sometimes, unfortunately, end up killing the bird. Hopefully, your guy will heal up okay. Just pack his foot with antibiotic ointment when you change the bandage. It has to be changed every couple of days at first. Then, eventually, he can go without it.

You're right, this is what I've started to think too he didn't do it right, you've no idea how hard it was for me to watch him doing that, it bleed way too much i just started crying but my baby was like fainting && for how many days I'll have to keep his foot bandage? it's been 6 days, had it done at Saturday night & now it's Thursday, his fingers are like red, i think they hurt because of bandage.
but chuzu is very brave tho, he walks normally but I'm sure it hurts, he also gave him a syrup for 3 days. & i need to know one more thing what's wrong with his comb? It's not straight & because of the weight of it he can barely see from his other eye. He's totally a depended rooster, he cannot eat or drink without me. & i blame myself for all of this

Bumblefoot can take awhile to heal. The syrup he gave you-was it an antibiotic? I don't know what else it could be.

And you said his comb is not right. If a rooster is sick, his comb can wilt and look pale or bluish. Can you rip an old tshirt into long 1" strips? I'd slather regular antibiotic ointment on his pad and wrap that Tshirt bandage, which is cotton, stretchy and soft, around like the other bandage was, in and around the toes and around the leg and secure the end with some kind of tape, but not tightly, just firmly enough that it won't come off. You can also put a folded piece of gauze on the pad under that bandage to pad his foot a little. Just keep doing that every few days and eventually, it should heal, unless the vet did something in there that made it worse, but it can look bad for awhile in the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom