My Rooster is Sick

SilkieSkye

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2021
A couple of days ago we bought two fully grown hens to add to our addition. They look healthy and get along with our other hens and rooster. Our silky rooster is about a year old, completely healthy. During their morning feeding, I found him in the corner standing alone humming to himself. He did not crow this morning, which has never happened, and he will not eat anything. He looks sleepy and maybe dizzy and genuinely looks like he does not feel good. I am so sad! Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :(

Did you quarantine the two new hens before adding them to the existing flock? I’m not sure what’s wrong with your rooster but the hens might have been carrying something and passed it to him.

Did you quarantine the two new hens before adding them to the existing flock? I’m not sure what’s wrong with your rooster but the hens might have been carrying something and passed it to him.
No, but I should have! He sounds like he has a cold. He is wheezing.. My poor boy!

It is pretty easy to bring in a respiratory disease with new additions. That is why most people learn to quarantine new birds away from the flock for a month, in case the new birds are carriers. MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, ILT are some of the common diseases. Look for signs of bubbles in eyes, watery eyes or swelling of eyelids, nasal drainage, or noisy breathing. I would try to get Tylsoin powder for your water to treat if it is MG. A virus would have to run it’s course over time. Here is where to order it if you cannot get a vet to see the silkie:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

It is pretty easy to bring in a respiratory disease with new additions. That is why most people learn to quarantine new birds away from the flock for a month, in case the new birds are carriers. MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, ILT are some of the common diseases. Look for signs of bubbles in eyes, watery eyes or swelling of eyelids, nasal drainage, or noisy breathing. I would try to get Tylsoin powder for your water to treat if it is MG. A virus would have to run it’s course over time. Here is where to order it if you cannot get a vet to see the silkie:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
I will order it right away! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom