1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster is too rough on the ladies.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss_thenorth, Aug 17, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I currently have 9 full grown hens, and two pullets about 10-12 weeks old(that he leaves alone for now). A couple of my sexlinks are bare on the back.

If I had more hens, would he be less likely to "love " these ladies as much? I have 9 --6wk old barred rock pullets, (and one roo who's days are uncertain) when these pullets are old enough, should this help, or do I have to isolate my rambunctious roo.?

TIA

2. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    You should be fine when your youngins grow up but every roo is different. I have 3 hens with duct tape saddles on right now. We can't wait until the other hens mature so take the strain off of them. Mine are balding too. Poor girls.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Tell me about it!! I have 13 chickens and 2 roos... My poor chickens. The roos seem to have their favorites. I have 4 hens that are bare backed. Got 4 more pullets, so hopefully that will help. So, yes, your additional hens will help the matter, but if they have their favorites, I don't know what else can be done besides separating the roos from the hens. Right now I have Doodle, which is the horniest thing I've ever seen, in the pen while the girls are free ranging. He comes out when they go to roost at night. He also has a couple of hours in the morning when he's out in the yard and the hens are in the run. Hope the extra hens will spread out all that loving!! [​IMG]

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am struggling with the same problem with my EE roo. He lives with nothing but banties and is really rough with them. My problem is i been trying to find him a new home forever but it sure isn't easy trying to rehome a rooster without it ending up on the dinner table. I'm starting to look at him like a meal now. I hope the roo settles down after you introduce the younger ones to him but dont hold your breath seems to me once they picked favs they stick to them

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

More hens may help some, but one to 9 isn't that bad right now for the "average" roo. Sounds like you have a feisty larger rooster who's favorites are going bald. A saddle for the worst feathered ones would help them out.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You could always try making him a fake chicken to do his duty with :)LOL.
    I know this works with cockatiels. So you might want to give it a shot.

7. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    OMG! Has anyone tried the fake chicken idea? I'll fill my yard with them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by