My rooster isn't mating the hens

jaide

Songster
Oct 3, 2014
Iowa
I'm pretty new to this. We got our first chickens in March. Of course we have an accidental rooster. Since I moved out to the country right before getting them I decided to keep my beautiful roo. He's an Americana. We have 2 female americaunas also, 2 RIR and a barred rock. The girls have started laying eggs, my BR lays every day. When do males typically start mating? I've yet to see him even try. I thought it'd be fun to hatch our own chickens with my kids (13,11,5,and4) but he doesn't seem to know that he's suppose to be mating. He's almost 7 months now.

I think he will in time. I have a Lavender Orpington rooster who looks like a giant baby right now. I'm waiting for his nice tail feathers to come in. He just started crowing this week, and I do see him try and mate, althought he needs ALOT more practice. haha I'm just glad he's a bit on the timid side, so far, and isn't mean to the ladies.

Just give him more time, and all of a sudden you'll notice him crowing and mating......

The actual 'act' itself is really quick. Are you sure you're not just missing it? I couldn't believe it when my George first started mating the girls - on and off in two seconds! His technique must have improved as he got older, and he now manages to hold on for about 10 seconds, but it's still pretty quick!

Krista

Maybe I am just missing it. I thought by now I'd have noticed but I do work so maybe he just likes to get at it in the morning. Lol.

My EE roo is not at all shy... he gets around well, and services 15 girls... often, and has been for quite some time. ? started around 14 weeks. Have you looked at your eggs to see if they are fertile? do a thread search to find pics of fertile eggs compared to unfertile eggs.

I am in agreement with the other posters. Check your eggs... you might not see any hanky panky but that doesn't mean its not happening... you not seeing it or missing feathers probably just means your roo isn't overly aggressive which is good!

O.k. Here is a strange one... my ee lays eggs normally but also mounts and tries to do the deed on the other girls. If there is a spot of blood in the egg is it fertile? Are there hermaphrodite chix? We don't have a rooster. Help?!

If there is a spot of blood in the egg is it fertile?

Blood spots are burst blood vessels that happen during the formation of the egg, they are found in both fertile and infertile eggs it's not an indication of fertility...

To see if they are fertile either search this forum or Google up some images, there is a slight but noticeable off colored 'bulls-eye ring' in fertile eggs yolks...

Back
Top Bottom