My rooster just got really mean to my little old dog

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
My little 15 lb dog has never paid much attention to my chickens. He goes out and does his business and comes back in. If the chicken happens to be where he goes, oh well. Pepper my rooster has given him the " evil eye" a few times but that's as far as it's gone. Today, however, when Simon was walking home back along the sidewalk as usual Pepper started bugging him and Simon just kept walking. Once in a while he would turn towards Pepper and yip a little noise like" leave me alone would ya?" This time Pepper just fluffed himself up and jumped on him! Simon had started making more noise which is why I saw what was happening. I intervened and it was over. Simon isn't hurt and Pepper lost 2 feathers. Why the sudden aggression at Simon? And what can I do about it?

Let me offer some of my thoughts. Not sure it will be the answer.
A rooster does what they are supposed to do. Protect the flock. (plus some of the other rooster benefits.). Your rooster is doing just that,, seeing your dog as a potential predator. They don't have a high IQ to be able to differentiate between your dog,, and your neighbors' dog that can kill your chickens. (BTW, I am only using this analogy,,, Have no idea if your neighbors have dogs) Obviously a mean aggressive dog would come on fiercely at your rooster.,,,,,,, and of course your rooster would split the scene if possible. When rooster sees a smaller predator,, he still tries to drive that predator off.

So here is the crossroads you are at.
Does rooster attack small children in your yard??? If yes,,,, get rid of rooster.

Does rooster attack you in the yard??? Boot training can change that habit.

If rooster is not attacking people,, then he is fine doing his job. :thumbsup

My suggestion for the dog.... when you do let him out,, you may consider slipping on a coat on him. I know it is not cold in your area, so dog coats may have to be ordered online. This way dog will be protected from rooster attacks. Avoid red color of coat.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

A rooster does what they are supposed to do. Protect the flock. (plus some of the other rooster benefits.). Your rooster is doing just that,, seeing your dog as a potential predator. They don't have a high IQ to be able to differentiate between your dog,, and your neighbors' dog that can kill your chickens. (BTW, I am only using this analogy,,, Have no idea if your neighbors have dogs) Obviously a mean aggressive dog would come on fiercely at your rooster.,,,,,,, and of course your rooster would split the scene if possible. When rooster sees a smaller predator,, he still tries to drive that predator off.

Does rooster attack small children in your yard??? If yes,,,, get rid of rooster.

My suggestion for the dog.... when you do let him out,, you may consider slipping on a coat on him. I know it is not cold in your area, so dog coats may have to be ordered online. This way dog will be protected from rooster attacks. Avoid red color of coat.

You hit it right on the head. Hes being protective. Pepper does not attack children as there are none here. Hes about 4 mos old we think. He has never really bothered my old dog like he did, until today. Simom wasn't scared of the attack either he held his ground and got his hair pulled a couple times. I was close enough to intervene. Yes I think we both like our chicks. This has been quite a learning experience for me but loads of fun. I only have 6 chickens.Two at 3 weeks old,Penny and Cinnamon RIR's.... 2 at 9-11 weeks, a Buff Orpington, Twinkie and a Barred Rock, Cookie , And my EE, Rosie is 14 weeks and my rooster is almost -16 weeks. Pepper. Hes a mix australorpe and pea fowl is the guess. Living is a town that is semi rural area I worry about him crowing early in the AM. No complaints yet..lol

Rooster spurs and dog eyes do not go well together ..... Especially with smaller dogs. I had to cull a year old rooster for exactly this reason !

He started attacking me as well, but I was more concerned with my dogs eyes, as they are at perfect spur height.

I agree and he is young. Watch him though. There are articles on BYC about altering a males behavior. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom