My rooster keeps attacking me

How. :th I had three with my hens. Sold one, eventually separated all into a bachelor pad situation because my hens couldn't handle even one. (One was VERY hard on the hens, he did quite a bit of damage, got rid of him.) Will never make that mistake again. This is Banshee, she got it second worst of the flock:

View attachment 2722055
Probably helps that my males are very clear on who is above who. I only have one in each flock that does most of the breeding. In One flock the hens stay near the flock master because the lower males go after stragglers only and in the other my side males only occasionally breed when the flock master seems to permit them (usually it's the less favorite of his hens or the ones he can't reach to actually breed). My two flock masters are very calm birds that just don't over breed

How. :th I had three with my hens. Sold one, eventually separated all into a bachelor pad situation because my hens couldn't handle even one. (One was VERY hard on the hens, he did quite a bit of damage, got rid of him.) Will never make that mistake again. This is Banshee, she got it second worst of the flock:

View attachment 2722055
She looks as bare as Marge did five months ago before we rehomed the previous roo. Hope she recovers her plumage soon!

Probably helps that my males are very clear on who is above who. I only have one in each flock that does most of the breeding. In One flock the hens stay near the flock master because the lower males go after stragglers only and in the other my side males only occasionally breed when the flock master seems to permit them (usually it's the less favorite of his hens or the ones he can't reach to actually breed). My two flock masters are very calm birds that just don't over breed
Amazing! Mine would rather try to kill each other. 🤪 You have such good roos!

She looks as bare as Marge did five months ago before we rehomed the previous roo. Hope she recovers her plumage soon!

Thank you! Me too. 😊 Hope Marge has recovered hers by now. 💕

He's not likely to reform!'@Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles about roosters, worth reading.
He's dangerous, and needs to be gone, before he manages to really hurt one of you. If any children or visitors are involved, he needs to be gone ASAP.
And no bird gets near my face or eyeballs!!!
Mary
I agree. Just culled our rooster today for attacking me- walking down the driveway.
I tried to reaffirm that I was top dog walk through him and make him move. Well he charged me and after 4 attacks -he is done!
I am sad it didn’t work out but when your safety is at risk or others- it is a tough choice but for us it was the right decision.
I hope you figure it out.
Curious now what to expect from the hens with him gone.

The younger two are about 4-6 months old. When we separate them will they be separated all the time or only at night when they sleep?
Nobody really answered this question for you but you have probably figured it out by now. If you are going to separate them, you need to keep them separate all the time. Otherwise you would have the logistics of trying to round them up and put them in the appropriare pens morning and evening, and what a fiasco THAT would be! You'd just need a bachelor pen where the boys live together all the time, away from the girls. But why? What use are they to you? You'd just be feeding them for no good reason. Better to rehome* all three, or rehome two and pick one to keep that you and the hens can live with.

*Rehome or put to other good use. My feeling is, if I'm going to eat chicken (and I do), I'd rather eat home-grown, healthy birds I raised myself.

Thank you everyone for the help. We are currently building a new coop and will be separating the roosters and hens. We are also considering getting more hens, but right now we have more eggs than we know what to do with. What do you do with your extra eggs besides giving them away and cooking them?
I'm blessed to have a friend who buys my extras. She tells me I need more chickens! 😀

Nobody really answered this question for you but you have probably figured it out by now. If you are going to separate them, you need to keep them separate all the time. Otherwise you would have the logistics of trying to round them up and put them in the appropriare pens morning and evening, and what a fiasco THAT would be! You'd just need a bachelor pen where the boys live together all the time, away from the girls. But why? What use are they to you? You'd just be feeding them for no good reason. Better to rehome* all three, or rehome two and pick one to keep that you and the hens can live with.

*Rehome or put to other good use. My feeling is, if I'm going to eat chicken (and I do), I'd rather eat home-grown, healthy birds I raised myself.
I've rehomed several cockerels and life is so much better with one good boy!

I agree. Just culled our rooster today for attacking me- walking down the driveway.
I tried to reaffirm that I was top dog walk through him and make him move. Well he charged me and after 4 attacks -he is done!
I am sad it didn’t work out but when your safety is at risk or others- it is a tough choice but for us it was the right decision.
I hope you figure it out.
Curious now what to expect from the hens with him gone.
Same. I want a flock I can trust with future grandchildren 😅

Amazing! Mine would rather try to kill each other. 🤪 You have such good roos!

Thank you! Me too. 😊 Hope Marge has recovered hers by now. 💕
Marge looks great now with pretty white feathers all filled in. She's moulting now, too, and I'm not breeding her anymore (due to color). The new roo (not her baby) doesn't try much with her. I think her fighting being mounted caused all the damage. She's a pistol!

You'd just need a bachelor pen where the boys live together all the time, away from the girls. But why? What use are they to you? You'd just be feeding them for no good reason.
I understand your reasoning here, but my "extra" boys are pets. I feed them because they are my pets, like a dog or cat. I truly understand why many wouldn't do this. The boys I kept are all good boys, well mannered, and I couldn't bear to send them to their deaths. One day, I hope to breed them. (Accidently bred one of them this year. Got a sweet hen and four roosters out of that. 😅 )

Now from this year's batch, I have one that may have to end up this way because I don't think I could sell him with a clean conscience unless the person wants a demon-possessed rooster. I called him Meenie for a bit, then Mr. Evil, and now I'm seriously contemplating naming the boy Satan or Lucifer. He would be a good guard rooster if I could train him to not go after people, and I've tried all the training I know to do, and he doesn't get it. It's weird because he will approach and eat treats out of my hand, and then grab my hand and start twisting the skin and being really mean right after. 🤪

Marge looks great now with pretty white feathers all filled in. She's moulting now, too, and I'm not breeding her anymore (due to color). The new roo (not her baby) doesn't try much with her. I think her fighting being mounted caused all the damage. She's a pistol!
I'm so glad to hear that! I'm hoping mine molt soon so they will get all their feathers back in before winter.

Due to color? So you're trying to breed a specific color chicken? 🙂

Glad the new roo is nicer to her :)

Back
Top Bottom