My rooster keeps attacking me

Pics
Oh, I see. How fascinating!! Good luck with the breeding! 😁

Same here. When I sold one to our pet shop last year, everyone laughed at the fact I bought in a rooster with the name of Nugget. 😂 This year I brought them Julie and had to explain that I thought Julia Child was a hen when I named him. I changed it to Jules Verne once the crowing started. But Julie stuck. :lau

That's awesome! Lucien is such a good boy! Yes, that's the problem I'm having with the new roos from this batch - the main ones I'm having problems with are the ones that came from my RIR hen. They are FEISTY. I've heard it said that RIR's are a good breed to start with, but these that I hatched out have more spunk and tend to bite more than my mixes do. Even the hens do.

Oh, so it can be bred out? That's encouraging. At this point, I'm probably not going to breed the RIR hen again because her children have so much attitude. My mixes are half RIR (and half SLW or GLW) and have the spunk and sass, but they aren't mean about it. One is a mix between a RIR + SLW mix and my GLW... he will peck but he also understands when I force him into the submissive pose and put his beak to the ground. The pullet that is the same mix is very sweet and not mean at all.
There are some breeds that are good for free ranging and may need an aggressive roo, but not towards people. Your mix seems like a cool project.

I'm only experienced with Crevecoeurs, which has a few lines (very few) in the US and the recent French stock was called more aggressive, so I'm actively working to have a sweet roo, which I have now after breeding and rehoming a few. Not sure how it works with other flocks, but it's worked for me.

Your good boy seems like the goal! I don't want aggressive roos hurting my girls, either. The flock have its pecking order and accept Lucien, but he's respectful and has learned not to breed if the hen resists. He'll try again later, but everyone gets bred--I'm only interested in hatching from certain girls who, lucky enough, are his favorites. It may be his temperament. I suspect a gentler roo won't destroy my hens' feathers the way the more aggressive roo did. So far, so good.

He's not likely to reform!'@Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles about roosters, worth reading.
He's dangerous, and needs to be gone, before he manages to really hurt one of you. If any children or visitors are involved, he needs to be gone ASAP.
And no bird gets near my face or eyeballs!!!
Mary
I have the same problem with my Roo so thank you for the advice 👍

I'm the same way about fried foods! I don't think I've fried anything since MIL passed away. I've had my gall bladder removed but I still have gastric problems that can be really painful. I have to be really careful about fats in general. I bake chicken or make soups, sandwiches or salads out of it. If I have to eat it fried, I take the skin off, lol! I love watching them too, and listening to them talk and purr to each other. ❤️
Oohhh I see. Those are my favorite ways to eat it too. Less nausea.

I've always taken the skin off fried foods, even as a kid, and I get such weird looks and people talking me it's the best part... never understood that. 😅

Yes! ❤ And dust bathing.

Oohhh I see. Those are my favorite ways to eat it too. Less nausea.

I've always taken the skin off fried foods, even as a kid, and I get such weird looks and people talking me it's the best part... never understood that. 😅

Yes! ❤ And dust bathing.
I love your handle (name). Come visit us in the Prayer Warriors thread.

Back
Top Bottom