My rooster keeps attacking me

Pics

Allymcc1999

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2018
My family has 3 roosters and 7 hens. We recently incubated some of our hen’s eggs which hatched into the 2 new roosters. Our main rooster his name is Sunny. The two new ones are Lyla and Cami, they are angles, so sweet and always come over and let us hold them. Sunny has always been aggressive (he never liked to be held), but recently he has started attacking me and my mom whenever we are in the coop. We can just be standing near him or the asking past to change feed/water or pet the goats and he’ll come and attack us. He now knows to attack me above my boots, where his kicks will actually hurt. I’ve tried picking him up and petting him. It’s always a fight to pick him up, chasing cornering, etc. Today I tried to pick him up, which I did after a while. I was holding him and he’d peck my hand, which he usually does. Today he actually pecked my face and I now have 3 cuts on my lip. I was holding him on my side when it happened. I have no clue what to do now. Is it even possible to become friends with him now? How do I handle him?

A rooster is never your friend, he is the head of your flock and by trying to make him a lap chicken when he was with you you, he now thinks you and your mom are part of his flock. As a part of his flock you must obey him or he will make you obey him.
You have not said how old he is, so you may be able to fix the situation by changing the way you handle the relationship. There are many articles on this site, I would read through and try the one that you think will work best for you, otherwise you will have to get rid of him before he seriously hurts you or your mom.

My family has 3 roosters and 7 hens. We recently incubated some of our hen’s eggs which hatched into the 2 new roosters. Our main rooster his name is Sunny. The two new ones are Lyla and Cami, they are angles, so sweet and always come over and let us hold them. Sunny has always been aggressive (he never liked to be held), but recently he has started attacking me and my mom whenever we are in the coop. We can just be standing near him or the asking past to change feed/water or pet the goats and he’ll come and attack us. He now knows to attack me above my boots, where his kicks will actually hurt. I’ve tried picking him up and petting him. It’s always a fight to pick him up, chasing cornering, etc. Today I tried to pick him up, which I did after a while. I was holding him and he’d peck my hand, which he usually does. Today he actually pecked my face and I now have 3 cuts on my lip. I was holding him on my side when it happened. I have no clue what to do now. Is it even possible to become friends with him now? How do I handle him?
Considering that you said he's three years old, I doubt that there's going to be any chance he'll become less aggressive. I would reccomend re-homing him to someone who's willing to deal with him. Someone in your area might be looking for a more aggressive rooster that will protect their hens well.

Also, I don't want to completely police you on this, but 3 roosters to 7 hens isn't the best ratio. It can be dangerous to have more than 1 rooster if you have less than 10 hens.

Like some of the previous replies said, you could make a separate coop for the roosters to live together in, so they don't hurt your hens. Or, you could pick your favorite roo and get rid of the other two.

How old are the other Roosters? If they are young and just starting to do rooster things he maybe trying to assert dominance on everything in sight. If you really like your rooster I would separate all the other roosters into a bachelor pen and see if he calms down to his usual self. If that doesn’t work well you have already probably heard enough culling comments.

Back
Top Bottom