My rooster keeps attacking me

Operator error sorry. My power went out in the spare bathroom . Had to shut the computer off find and fix what was wrong there and log bk in. Not sure how I ended up writing on the

@Yeshuaschosen Why did you quote me and then erase my message?
I shouldn't be able to change or delete any comment you made.How it does this is beyond me.My son just said theres something wrong with the website HTML that it doesn't lock your comment like that.I just know its frustrating. Maybe I'm just an idiot on a computer but reply should let me reply without my having to worry about it jumping on the wrong line.Its happened to me more than once.

Thank you everyone for the help. We are currently building a new coop and will be separating the roosters and hens. We are also considering getting more hens, but right now we have more eggs than we know what to do with. What do you do with your extra eggs besides giving them away and cooking them?

You have 5 roosters to 7 hens, that's 5 too many.
Your hens will thank you, they are going to get mated to death or the roosters will kill each other.
Cull the mean one, send the others away.
I agree with this. I've rehomed 4 young roos this year, including one [edited] I hatched in the incubator.

I purposely bred a nicely-crested and sweet roo from good imported genes, but with some aggression, by choosing the gentlest of two generations. It took me five to get one with all the traits I wanted, including no aggression.

Life is great with eight hens and one gentle roo. The original four hens endured a rough patch with a moderately gentle roo until I had fertile eggs for the next generation--the feathers on their backs have finally grown in again, and they lost feathers even while wearing saddles.

I struggled with training and trying every trick I read about until I bred a perfect roo. The rest were easily rehomed to flocks where interacting with roos wasn't so intense. I need a roo who doesn't flog or bite us.

Lucien is perfect in temperament, and he will make pretty chicks. The others were hopelessly aggressive, and I'm now sold on genes as the main factor for a nice roo. Gotta keep trying!

As an aside, I only have one roo because a) my ratio of hens to roosters is ideal, and b) I have room for more hens and will acquire hatching eggs if something happens to my roo (there's an excellent chance I'll hatch several roos every time I incubate eggs). Fingers crossed this boy fertilizes a lot of eggs, though, because his genes are excellent for breeding.

Good luck on solving the issue, and again, I'm an advocate for a low roo count in the flock.

Last edited:
My family has 3 roosters and 7 hens. We recently incubated some of our hen’s eggs which hatched into the 2 new roosters. Our main rooster his name is Sunny. The two new ones are Lyla and Cami, they are angles, so sweet and always come over and let us hold them. Sunny has always been aggressive (he never liked to be held), but recently he has started attacking me and my mom whenever we are in the coop. We can just be standing near him or the asking past to change feed/water or pet the goats and he’ll come and attack us. He now knows to attack me above my boots, where his kicks will actually hurt. I’ve tried picking him up and petting him. It’s always a fight to pick him up, chasing cornering, etc. Today I tried to pick him up, which I did after a while. I was holding him and he’d peck my hand, which he usually does. Today he actually pecked my face and I now have 3 cuts on my lip. I was holding him on my side when it happened. I have no clue what to do now. Is it even possible to become friends with him now? How do I handle him?
I had a very similar situation, however I was never close to my rooster. It was as if I was his adversary. He would literally run across our place, seek me out and attack! He attacked me three or four times, the last attack resulted in a serious puncture wound, from his spurs, that became extremely infected and 2 rounds of antibiotics and an ER visit... well he was rehomed. I was 100% honest with the guy that took him. He still wanted him, and I was glad. I would get rid of him before a serious injury occurs.

Actually I'm going to disagree on that. In this case, it may be, but I've had those numbers before in 2 of my flocks and there were absolutely no problems temperament or apperance wise. My males just all knew their individual places in the flock.

However none are agreeive to each other, let alone to humans
They look as if they're in an all hen flock. Not a scratch on them, even in spring
How. :th I had three with my hens. Sold one, eventually separated all into a bachelor pad situation because my hens couldn't handle even one. (One was VERY hard on the hens, he did quite a bit of damage, got rid of him.) Will never make that mistake again. This is Banshee, she got it second worst of the flock:

IMG_7761.JPG

Back
Top Bottom