My rooster keeps getting worse I need help.

Alex022

Hatching
Jun 18, 2017
My rooster has a huge bruise on his breast area and he was getting better. Now he has this growing on his foot. He's going pale and yellowing and he doesn't want to eat or drink anymore. I'm desperate and I don't know what this is. I'm out of money for a vet and I don't know what to do anymore I need help.

Attachments

• IMG_5682.JPG
    IMG_5682.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 13
It looks like the tip of his toe is necrotic - i.e. dead / dying tissue. I see that you are not online, so hopefully, the experts will chime in by the time you are back.

I already give him fish oil and glucosamine. What type of antibiotics should I buy?
I wish I could help, but I live in Africa, so what's available here is certainly not what's available where you are.

Hi!
Whenever I happen to get a sick bird I give it some stuff called NUTRI DRENCH. It's for all poultry and helps give their systems a little boost. It can be found in any livestock store, believe all over the world. As for the antibiotics, the probiotics for chicks would work. I've also used that with chickens who were sick or wounded. I agree with Ken about the skin being dead. Normally I only see that sometimes on the combs of my chickens from frostbite if they've been out in the cold too long.

Hopefully this helps!

Hi @Alex022 :frowWelcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of him and the breast bruise as well?
Can you tell us bit more about him - how old is he?
The bruising on the breast - do you know the cause - injury, fighting, fall, etc.?
Do you think the foot is from any injury as well?
How long has he been like this?

It sounds like he is failing from your description. As mentioned above, provide him with some poultry vitamins (Poultry Nutri-Drench is good). Focus on getting some fluids into him. After he is hydrated, then make some wet feed, chopped egg or tuna available.

For the foot, you can soak it in epsom salts or diluted betadine to help reduce swelling. After it's dried, apply Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment. Place him on clean dry bedding.

Hopefully we can see the breast bruising as well. Antibiotics may be needed to help heal the foot, but if he has breast injury - injectables like Penicillin may not be the best to use.
Hopefully @Eggcessive will give her input. Tylan50 can be given orally and is usually found at the feed store. It may help with infection, but is used more for respiratory infections. (I'm just trying to think what may be available on local levels that you can get quickly).

Back
Top Bottom