My rooster likes the other rooster.. TOO much ??

sdm1277

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
POLAND MAINE
or not at all...
lol.png

my husband and i almost died laughing when i saw 2 of my roosters chase my buff oprpinton rooster and tag teamed him... ummmmm is this normal?? i have never seen roosters hump but they continued to do it more than once..
i went over to "Al" my buff orpington. he was in the wood pile hiding.. so i picked him up and stomped the others away... (my husband wanted to give him a cigarette
big_smile.png
)

... not too many wanting to touch this one.

I'm thinking dominance also... but mine only chest bump, kick & flap & somebody RUNS.

Are there hens available or is this like rooster prison?!?

(I'm really not trying to be funny here, but
tongue.png
)

I think you might've gotten lucky, well Al seems to have at least. To get jumped by two roosters and get away without a good kicking, he's been a lucky boy.

He might not be thinking that right at the moment of course but had he had the poop beaten out of him rather than...err... pushed in as it were, your post wouldn't have been so cheery and I doubt Al would have been either.

Maybe they'll all get along with poor Al being 'reminded' of his position in a non-fighting way every now and then. I'd keep a close eye on them though if they decide he's not their type two of them will quickly do a lot of damage (and not to his butt).

lol.png

Yep, almost certainly dominance, buuut.....there ARE some penguins that refuse to sit on eggs with ANYONE other than another male....that's even more common in mallard ducks: the pair of males will actually steal a hen's nestfull, then sit on it together, and apparently make better parents than a male and female, due to the fact that they're able to protect the ducklings better.

I have several roosters living in a 'bachelor group' away from hens, but they NEVER do that as far as I've seen.....it does happen occasionally though with the other roosters/hens.

So yeah, dominance, but it you ever find your two roosters sitting on a nest together...well...
lau.gif

Last edited:
there are plenty of hens to my roosters.. not a rooster prison
tongue.png

well Al did get his butt kicked when he first got here.. he is a big baby and follows me around...
smile.png

i figured iet may be a dominance issue but i was making sure....

Back
Top Bottom