My (Rooster) looks more like a hen

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
I hatched out this golden laced roo about 3 months ago, but is the same size and shape as the hens I have that are the same age. The comb is what originally made me think cockerel, but it is much smaller and fuller than the other boys. He also hasn’t crowed yet which all the others are, and have since a month old.
065FDCCF-27D3-4AB2-99C4-6E3C60E82492.jpeg

Here’s a picture of a hen and roo the same age:
1E07C029-429F-437F-8045-A1F79336AB8D.jpeg
DE249AE5-7502-41E3-B54B-03824A658A77.jpeg

I know I’m probably being paranoid and slightly hoping it’s a hen since s/he is so sweet, but he’s probably just a late bloomer.

I found when I had multiple cockerals, one would mature faster and one would mature much slower to the point of looking like a pullet. I always wondered if there was some kind of hormone suppression going on. Do the submissive ones just know not to bother? It usually happened just in the same breed.

Ok, so it has been a few weeks, and his comb has not grown at ALL and is still pinkish-black
image.jpg
(on the right)
He’s around 15 weeks now, but I’m personally leaning towards boy as my hens don’t even have much of a comb yet. I’m just trying to figure out why he is much smaller than the rest of my Sebright. Could he by chance have stopped growing?

Back
Top Bottom