My rooster saves hens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MidnightRooster, Jul 29, 2014.

1. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    I got a gorgeous silver Sebright named Rain. He was getting irritating and constantly attacking me. However, keeping him was a great idea...

A few days ago, I went to the chicken coop and there was a huge hole in the side of the fence. There was obvious raccoon stuff everywhere. Terrified, I noticed no one was outside in the run. I opened the door and all the chickens were alive, as well as Rain.

Apparently, at night I had forgotten to close the coop window. The chickens were sleeping inside when a raccoon broke in, probably looking for some leftovers that the hens hadn't eaten. Rain, hearing this, ran outside and attacked it. The raccoon fled, and Rain saved the day.
    All that practice attacking my boot had come in handy!
    So, after the many debates on whether or not to keep him, my family agreed on keeping him and offering protection for our hens!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've never had a rooster able to save a flock at night but during the day they're indispensable.

3. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    [​IMG]

This is Rain...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You go Rain!!! [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Way to go Rain! I guess it is worth wearing long pants and carrying around a bucket to block attacks from Rain, if he scares off raccoons. It may have been near dusk or dawn that the raccoon came in considering chickens have really poor night vision.

Still the best offense is a good defense. I bet you are already planning to up security. BTW, I learned the hard way that a determined raccoon can get through chicken wire. Welded wire or hardware cloth are better.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by