My rooster snapped ..... WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT

We had one who started attacking me, the it progressed to the kids, then the hubby and even the in laws when they came to visit. He would chase the kids on their 4 wheeler clear around the yard. I couldn't turn my back he would sneek up on me. He would act like he wasn't doing anything when I would look then run toward me when I turned, we did this over and over one day. I look he pecked the ground, I turn away he would run toward me. Needless to say he is no longer with us. I agree you did the right thing. He mayhave hurt someone badly at something. And that would make you feel worse than shooting him.

You absolutely did the right thing! :hugs

I got three straight run chicks a year ago. Of course, they all ended up being cockerels. At four months, I had to cull two, as they had become unholy terrors to the pullets and me. I caught them in a fishing net, then shot them in the back of the head with a .22. They are buried in the garden, and I thank them for their contribution to the soil. Since it was my first time ever culling, I didn't have the stamina to process them, and DH wouldn't have eaten them anyway. I thank them for their contribution to the soil.

In hindsight, could you have done differently? Um... I'm not sure. How do you catch a raging rooster? With a fishing net, but maybe not, or not without more injury to someone. The situation had to be taken care of, right then. You did the best you could, at the time, knowing what you knew. So again I say, you absolutely did the right thing.

"das boot" only works till they hit the ground and come straight back.. Spring time!.. shenanigans... Have Banty to Jersey Giant.. If Jersey Giant had an attitude, I'd have no choice. Banty I've drop kicked.. Couldn't care less of "das boot".. He is a bit shy of crinkly bags and buckets.. No more problem as King Tut Jersey. Who couldn't care less, as in not noticed.. anymore.🌹

You absolutely did the right thing! :hugs

I got three straight run chicks a year ago. Of course, they all ended up being cockerels. At four months, I had to cull two, as they had become unholy terrors to the pullets and me. I caught them in a fishing net, then shot them in the back of the head with a .22. They are buried in the garden, and I thank them for their contribution to the soil. Since it was my first time ever culling, I didn't have the stamina to process them, and DH wouldn't have eaten them anyway. I thank them for their contribution to the soil.

In hindsight, could you have done differently? Um... I'm not sure. How do you catch a raging rooster? With a fishing net, but maybe not, or not without more injury to someone. The situation had to be taken care of, right then. You did the best you could, at the time, knowing what you knew. So again I say, you absolutely did the right thing.
Took me a full hour and a half to catch my rooster when I finally got fed up with him. The demon would flog me daily and the only way I could go out to collect the eggs was with a snow shovel to protect myself.

Sometimes we all just wanna go ballistic, only those who push it to the limit get shot an killed in the process, he went all the way with it. Sorry for your loss. ☁️✨🐔✨☁️
Yes, he pushed all of the wrong buttons, and yes, I did go ballistic.

Literally !!!

Maybe I went a bit too far, but so did he.

Good riddance, and RIP you big B*****d !!!

Your not alone. I once had a young rooster that never bothered me either until spring time and I showed up for the first time with shorts on. He didn't like me period. Now that I think back, I don't think he recognized me. That mean son of a gun wouldn't turn his back or give any, even with a few short kicks to the breast bone. He received two 40 cal bullets to the body and it didn't phase him. Had to shoot him in the head with a .22 which isn't an easy task.

After that I don't shoot chickens anymore. For culling, they get their heads removed now. Axe and stump method or tree branch loppers.

I now have a good rooster that I love to death and wouldn't trade for 10 laying hens. The only thing is that he would be the first to run away if something attacked my hens. Even if I go down there with an umbrella (something never seen), he babawks and runs for the hills with hens following. So that is the tradeoff between a nice and aggressive rooster.

Back
Top Bottom