My rooster was attacked

baileyf

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Something attacked my rooster. Ripped his tail feathers up and his wings are bloody. Do I need to give him an antibiotic for infection? He is walking and acting normal.

Something attacked my rooster. Ripped his tail feathers up and his wings are bloody. Do I need to give him an antibiotic for infection? He is walking and acting normal.
Please post pictures of him and his injuries.
You need to carefully examine him for more serious injury under the feathers.
At a minimum, I would thoroughly cleanse all his wounds, get off all the blood and apply a disinfectant and antibiotic ointment. You don't want flies getting on the wounds and laying eggs in them so you really need to keep a close eye.
Getting him after the flock goes to roost is the easiest way to examine and treat him. I wear a headlamp and go out after dark. The headlamp allows me to have both hands free.

Please post pictures of him and his injuries.
You need to carefully examine him for more serious injury under the feathers.
At a minimum, I would thoroughly cleanse all his wounds, get off all the blood and apply a disinfectant and antibiotic ointment. You don't want flies getting on the wounds and laying eggs in them so you really need to keep a close eye.
Getting him after the flock goes to roost is the easiest way to examine and treat him. I wear a headlamp and go out after dark. The headlamp allows me to have both hands free.
This is great advice! Just regular people antibiotic ointment and disinfectant?

Yes. Please let us know how he does.
Please help! I've been doing the spray and antibiotic ointment (2 day today) and it looks infected now! He has been in the sun maybe it's from that? Picture attached! Only injectable antibiotic I have on hand is penicillin.

179B2276-5531-4CF4-B8AA-8B42027584F2.jpeg

He isn't very friendly. I'm not sure of a vet around me that sees chickens, it took me a while to find someone willing to see my duck.

I will call around tomorrow. Does it look infected to you?
Can you take him to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom