My rooster was exposed to a windy 30 degrees and seems sick; is there anything I can do for him?

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I've been having migraines a lot lately and didn't get to winterize the coop like I want to. Last night, it got in the 30s. I have the bachelor pad so during nice weather like yesterday (60's), I can leave the rabbit wire exposed and he can see out of the door and get some extra air, but in the winter I block that off so he doesn't get the wind. Apparently, the wind has been crazy last night and today, and because of that stupid migraine, I forgot to put the flap back on to block the wind last night. 😬

Today, he isn't crowing with as much power and I can hear him slightly wheezing. He wasn't doing that yesterday, so I'm assuming this is the cause. He seems to feel okay besides. He's eating fine, doing his little dance for the ladies (his run goes alongside the main chicken coop where the girls are). Is there anything I need to do for him to help him out? I don't want him to die because of my mistake. It's supposed to be in the low 30's again tonight. I have cephalexin and amoxicillin available, would he need one of these to prevent this from turning into pneumonia? And do I need to try to catch him (his name is Wild Thang for a reason 😅) and bring him into the house? He is alone in the bachelor pad, so he can't cuddle up with anyone. I feel so bad. 😢

It would be best to bring him inside where its warmer and so you can watch him. respiratory infections usually get worse at night because of the temp drop so bringing him in would help a lot. Do you have access to raw herbs or oregano oil?

It would be best to bring him inside where its warmer and so you can watch him. respiratory infections usually get worse at night because of the temp drop so bringing him in would help a lot. Do you have access to raw herbs or oregano oil?
I'll get it set up so he can come inside then. Thanks! Hope it won't get worse.

I'm growing mint and sage, but I don't have oregano oil. Sadly, my oregano plant died. I think I have dried oregano though.

Can you place him inside a dog crate within the coop? Some pictures of your coop setup would be good. 30 degrees F is not very bad for chickens. It is good for them to have a place to get out of a direct draft.
It's night and starting to snow but here is the coop door with and without the metal flap on it. He always smashes himself against the wire when he roosts instead of using the roosting bar. 🤷‍♀️

He's been moved indoors. Still wheezing a bit. He's in a rabbit cage.

20220115_190845.jpg

20220115_190918.jpg

I'll get it set up so he can come inside then. Thanks! Hope it won't get worse.

I'm growing mint and sage, but I don't have oregano oil. Sadly, my oregano plant died. I think I have dried oregano though.
sounds good. As for the herbs I don't believe those two can help in this specific area. You can take the dried oregano and make a strong tea of it. is it homegrown or organic?

the tea can help and even if its dried it might still have antibiotic properties.
you will need 1/4 cup boiled water and add about 3 tsp of dried oregano.
let it steep covered for 10 minutes and let him drink some, if he doesn't want to you can syringe feed it to him. If you need a vid let me know.

Do have protection from wind and direct drafts?
This is the problem though; he didn't have protection that night because of me. :oops:

sounds good. As for the herbs I don't believe those two can help in this specific area. You can take the dried oregano and make a strong tea of it. is it homegrown or organic?
It's in a spice jar; we bought it for Italian recipes. It doesn't say organic.

the tea can help and even if its dried it might still have antibiotic properties.
you will need 1/4 cup boiled water and add about 3 tsp of dried oregano.
let it steep covered for 10 minutes and let him drink some, if he doesn't want to you can syringe feed it to him. If you need a vid let me know.
I can put this in his water container so he will have to drink it. He is unable to cluck or crow this morning. It's getting worse. I really think he needs meds of some sort, but it's Sunday and no vets are open. Also, I haven't found any vets who treat chickens in our area. 😞

This is the problem though; he didn't have protection that night because of me. :oops:

It's in a spice jar; we bought it for Italian recipes. It doesn't say organic.

I can put this in his water container so he will have to drink it. He is unable to cluck or crow this morning. It's getting worse. I really think he needs meds of some sort, but it's Sunday and no vets are open. Also, I haven't found any vets who treat chickens in our area. 😞
poor guy, do you have access to a feed store or TSC to buy some chicken antibiotics?

and putting it in his water is perfect

Back
Top Bottom