My Roosters Comb is turning black :(HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HummingbirdandMatt, Mar 31, 2009.

1. HummingbirdandMatt

HummingbirdandMatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Abbeville, AL
    The tip of my Roosters comb is turning black. It's not frostbite, no freezing temps here for well over a month. Any ideas guy?

[​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Are the white areas powdery (comb/wattles?). Has he been stressed recently? How old is he?

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    It actually looks exactly like when my roosters' combs had gotten frostbittten over the winter, and the damaged parts started to finally die and fall off. I would bet that's exactly what happened to your rooster. Mine were frostbitten in December, and the tips blackened and fell off in late February. It was very minor damage, and it only happened when they got wild and broke their heat bulb overnight in the coop, but I was still upset that it happened. [​IMG]

Your guy will be just fine, though. It didn't even seem to hurt mine in that stage of frostbite, so I recommend just letting the tops fall off as they will. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would have to agree that it is the end stages of frost bite and the tissue is not too far from falling off. The damage likely occurred a month ago when the weather was freezing. The tips probably turned whiteish, then pinkish, looked slightly swollen, and may have turned bright red for a while before becoming black.

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yep, that looks like frostbite to me. it can take a while to turn black and fall off. he should be fine but you could put some bag balm on it if it makes you feel better. i would [​IMG]

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    The damage from frostbite is progressive over a period of time.

chel

7. HummingbirdandMatt

HummingbirdandMatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Abbeville, AL
    Thanks alot guys for all your help [​IMG] You set my mind at ease....

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'll have to agree with the rest of the posts. I've got a Black Australorp who started like this earlier this winter, and now has a very rounded comb left-- no more little spikes. A couple of the others got some frostbitten tips, but none like my BA. He seems no worse for wear from it (though I do feel bad for him!!!) We had a very cold winter and they all did quite nicely overall!

9. chickenlover143

chickenlover143 New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    I have the same problem as well, the one rooster recently has been attacking the other, it's comb is turning black and when I checked this morning it was peeling off. I have no clue what to do, any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by