My Rosie is limping!

I think we figured out our limping chicken issue - some of her fluff feathers are short and poking her when she walks thereby causing her to limp. We are keeping her in a crate coop tonight so she doesn’t have to jump to/from the roost bar. Hopefully the feathers grow out fast.

Locked the girls out of the coop. Took Rosie out to see her walk. She did a bit of limping still but it seemed less but I won’t swear to it. Picked her up for closer inspection and was confronted with poopie butt. I can’t wait till she can roost again. Sleeping on the floor of the cage just makes for a mess. I dunked her butt in warm water much to her indignation. Did my best to clean her up. Let Rosie have some free time in the locked coop, about an hour give or take. She stood right by the locked pop door and preened. Did I mention the pop door is made of plexiglass? Rosie was looking at her sister through the door.
By the way we’re at day 6 and she hasn’t laid an egg since day 2. Oh and (my bad) it’s her right leg not left. I coulda sworn! 🤷‍♀️

Don't overdo it, after sitting in a crate for 6 days one hour of exercise is quite a lot. I think that 10 minutes twice a day is more than enough to keep her mobile.

How does her poop look now? Maybe try some Moro's carrot soup to help with any imbalance of her gut flora and add some poultry vitamins to her drinking water for 3 consecutive days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-gut-flora.1372260/post-22571912

Don't overdo it, after sitting in a crate for 6 days one hour of exercise is quite a lot. I think that 10 minutes twice a day is more than enough to keep her mobile.

How does her poop look now? Maybe try some Moro's carrot soup to help with any imbalance of her gut flora and add some poultry vitamins to her drinking water for 3 consecutive days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-gut-flora.1372260/post-22571912
I see a bit of green tinge on s few pine shreds in her cage. I’m letting her out into the coop a bit every day while locking out the others. I added poultry vitamins yesterday to her water. She’s still favoring her right leg. She did jump up on the poop board once when let out and then sat down till I took her down. It’s 3 feet high but there is a ramp. I worry she will be bullied if I let her out too soon but I hate keeping her in there.

I see a bit of green tinge on s few pine shreds in her cage. I’m letting her out into the coop a bit every day while locking out the others. I added poultry vitamins yesterday to her water. She’s still favoring her right leg. She did jump up on the poop board once when let out and then sat down till I took her down. It’s 3 feet high but there is a ramp. I worry she will be bullied if I let her out too soon but I hate keeping her in there.
Green tinge in her droppings could mean that she does not eat enough (bile) and/or that pathogenic germs start to take over.
Being confined to the crate for more than just a few days will slow her entire metabolism so any unhealthy germs might linger longer and create additional issues.

Try the Moro carrot soup (one preparation last for 2-3 days if kept cool in the fridge). In contrast to the usual antibiotics, it will rid her digestive system of pathogenic germs leaving the good ones unharmed and thus allow for a healthy gut which is an important prerequisite for any healing process of the body.

You might also prepare some tea using oregano, thyme, aniseed and sage to help with the healing process. Oregano is a strong natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory (finally scientifically accredited) and with the additional other herbs will help to reduce any swelling and inflammation.

This soup sounds like just boiled carrots. @LaFleche

Thats just what it is, with some added salt (half the amount for poultry). If you read the provided link carefully you will learn how it works. The important thing is to boil it for at least 65+ minutes, never less.

This Moro carrot soup works for humans, dogs, poultry and other animals too. And it is quite tasty. ;)

EDIT: It even helps with bacteria otherwise resistant to antibiotics.
https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html

The limp isn’t visible but the flock is chasing her. I’m allowing it if I see it because she’s probably being reassigned a pecking order position. But I see her hiding so much I’m not sure she’s eating. Tonight she’s in a nest instead of roosting. She seems ok otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom