My saved lonely duck

Jaimesweet

Songster
Dec 2, 2014
My daughter rescued a baby duck in August. He is a pekin duck . We kept him indoors till he was about a month or more fully feathered and bigger. He is alone :( the oncoming winter is among us and I'm worried about him. Hos name is Cylis. I have him locked in a cage at night that is fully sheltered. I'm worried about the raccoons and predators in our area so I lock him in only at night. My questions..... can he live a happy duck life with the decoy I have supplied for him and a stuffed dog he cuddles with at night happily ? He is free all day till sundown and he stays in his area. We live on the water and he does swim only when I place him in the water and take him out after a while. We live In southern NJ ...... It's getting colder and I'm looking into a wooden coop and a heat lamp. What I've read the lamp is no good for him. I just want him happy and not lonely. If my husband would let me and the kids bring him in the house we would happily live in duck shit ...... any suggestions are appreciated !!! I want him to have a partner. Idk how to get him a full grown friend. Not sure yet if he's male or female...... I worry about him day and night . S.O S

My daughter rescued a baby duck in August. He is a pekin duck . We kept him indoors till he was about a month or more fully feathered and bigger. He is alone :( the oncoming winter is among us and I'm worried about him. Hos name is Cylis. I have him locked in a cage at night that is fully sheltered. I'm worried about the raccoons and predators in our area so I lock him in only at night. My questions..... can he live a happy duck life with the decoy I have supplied for him and a stuffed dog he cuddles with at night happily ? He is free all day till sundown and he stays in his area. We live on the water and he does swim only when I place him in the water and take him out after a while. We live In southern NJ ...... It's getting colder and I'm looking into a wooden coop and a heat lamp. What I've read the lamp is no good for him. I just want him happy and not lonely. If my husband would let me and the kids bring him in the house we would happily live in duck shit ...... any suggestions are appreciated !!! I want him to have a partner. Idk how to get him a full grown friend. Not sure yet if he's male or female...... I worry about him day and night . S.O S
I had to learn that too: Usually Ducks don't need a heat lamp even in the coldest winter nights: They have a built in down-jacket: All they need is a dry place, protected from wind and precipitation and some straw/hay where they can build their little nests. My Ducks won't go into the straw if it is not really cold.
A single duck is not a good idea, ducks are flock animals, the more ducks are around the safer they feel. Having no other duck watching her/his back could be the reason why she/he avoids swimming.
You can always order additional ducklings at the large hatcheries and raise them as companions for your duck. She/he is just 3-4 month old, so if you raise a couple of new ducklings now, they will catch up quickly with the loner. If you are not after certain breeds, just look under the »assorted ducklings« section on the hatchery web-sites, usually the have ducklings all year around and a mixed flock is a lot of fun.

I had to learn that too: Usually Ducks don't need a heat lamp even in the coldest winter nights: They have a built in down-jacket: All they need is a dry place, protected from wind and precipitation and some straw/hay where they can build their little nests. My Ducks won't go into the straw if it is not really cold.
A single duck is not a good idea, ducks are flock animals, the more ducks are around the safer they feel. Having no other duck watching her/his back could be the reason why she/he avoids swimming.
You can always order additional ducklings at the large hatcheries and raise them as companions for your duck. She/he is just 3-4 month old, so if you raise a couple of new ducklings now, they will catch up quickly with the loner. If you are not after certain breeds, just look under the »assorted ducklings« section on the hatchery web-sites, usually the have ducklings all year around and a mixed flock is a lot of fun.

Thankyou so very much my friend....just having no one to talk to is insane ! I am going to look for friends for my beloved frozen duck
I know what you're talking about! I have lost one duckling in August to Hypothermia and when another duck suddenly was paralyzed i found a lot of help here.

Back
Top Bottom