MY SHELTIE IS SOOO TINY. questions plz (pictures too)

umm, the English Standard for the sheltie is the same as the AKC standard?

http://www.essc.org.uk/std.htm
SIZE: Ideal height at withers: dogs: 37 cms (14½ ins); bitches: 35.5 cms (14 ins). More than 2½ cms (1 in) above or below these heights highly undesirable.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/shetland_sheepdog/index.cfm
The Shetland Sheepdog should stand between 13 and 16 inches at the shoulder. Note: Height is determined by a line perpendicular to the ground from the top of the shoulder blades, the dog standing naturally, with forelegs parallel to line of measurement.

So the max height for the US is 1/2 inch above the UK standard. 20 to 25 lbs is the average weight for BOTH breeds. Lots of breeders import dogs saying that they are the "original" when that isn't the case. Of course, in the US you have BYBs who breed any 2 dogs together and sell the pups so, yes, oversize quickly becomes an issue. But in well-bred dogs there isn't a size difference between the US and the UK. You could take a dog from either country and show it in the other with no problem.

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing, the size has been standard both both American and English for decades and decades. Im thinking the posters original dog was just way oversize, and her new one is now within size.

more than that. The standard hasn't changed since the breed was accepted in (I believe) 1900. Also, some breeders have a bad habit of selling out-of-standard dogs as rare or "original" In GSDs, instead of smaller they sell extremely over-sized dogs and try to say that they are "old-fashioned" In reality, the average dog of today is already BIGGER than in the past and these giant dogs are just over-sized. If the dog is truly only 12 lbs, the breeder is trying to sell miniature dogs and make a quick buck. :(

um.... wow this thread is like 2 years old... in fact our shetlie (im the poster starter)) will be turning 2 years old in april!!! she is a joy and such a part of our family!!! i dont care how tiny she ended up.. shes still our girl!!

Many breeders said they are starting to become two different breeds because the Americans have decided since they are herding dogs they should be larger. They have standards for size, head shape etc that the the British don't have. The may split into 2 breeds at the shows I was told. So if you want a little, fine-boned one, get an English sheltie. A larger one would be found in the US.

Baloney! That was breeders trying to justify their oversized BYB dogs.

So, what's the verdict, how big did the OP's girl get?

Baloney! That was breeders trying to justify their oversized BYB dogs.

X2
goodpost.gif

Here is my sheltie, Merlin. He is the opposite of yours; he's giant. At 45lbs he is way too big for a sheltie. I asked the breeder and she said all his litter mates are around 10 lbs. I guess he took everything. He sure is sweet.

Back
Top Bottom