My Silkie has a swollen eye

parrotlady66

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
Hello All ,
i have two 10 week old Silkie chicks and we noticed the one had her one eye closed, I inspected her eye and didn't see anything unusual, today I was looking at her again and it's swollen and she doesn't like opening her eye , I took a warm damp cloth and wiped away some whitish /yellow goop away from her eye, I gently pulled down on the bottom part of her eye lid and didn't see anything but you can tell it's irritated but not sure as to why , i did wipe away some more stuff from her eye again
is there anything else i can do, she is eating and seems happy enough and doesn't mind being held onto
thanks for you help

Hello All ,
i have two 10 week old Silkie chicks and we noticed the one had her one eye closed, I inspected her eye and didn't see anything unusual, today I was looking at her again and it's swollen and she doesn't like opening her eye , I took a warm damp cloth and wiped away some whitish /yellow goop away from her eye, I gently pulled down on the bottom part of her eye lid and didn't see anything but you can tell it's irritated but not sure as to why , i did wipe away some more stuff from her eye again
is there anything else i can do, she is eating and seems happy enough and doesn't mind being held onto
thanks for you help
Hey! I wish I could help you as this sounds pretty bad, unfortunately I have never sealed with this before and don't know how to.....I hope she gets better!

Hello All , i have two 10 week old Silkie chicks and we noticed the one had her one eye closed, I inspected her eye and didn't see anything unusual, today I was looking at her again and it's swollen and she doesn't like opening her eye , I took a warm damp cloth and wiped away some whitish /yellow goop away from her eye, I gently pulled down on the bottom part of her eye lid and didn't see anything but you can tell it's irritated but not sure as to why , i did wipe away some more stuff from her eye again. is there anything else i can do, she is eating and seems happy enough and doesn't mind being held onto
thanks for you help
Can you post a picture of her eye? Does she have other symptoms, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, runny eyes or nose?
Eating, drinking, pooping?
Active or not?

Can you post a picture of her eye? Does she have other symptoms, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, runny eyes or nose?
Eating, drinking, pooping?
Active or not?
Sorry I can't post a photo right now but she is active and not showing signs of anything else going on , we have her and her sister in our house in a large dog crate right now
i actually wasn't sure when to introduce them to the rest of our flock out in the coop as we have only had them a couple weeks now I didn't want the others picking on them
i have 8 egg layer hens and two other silkies out there one being a silkie roo
she is eating very well and drinking and pooping and loves to snuggle with her sister
thank you and I'll try and get a photo posted later

Sorry I can't post a photo right now but she is active and not showing signs of anything else going on , we have her and her sister in our house in a large dog crate right now
i actually wasn't sure when to introduce them to the rest of our flock out in the coop as we have only had them a couple weeks now I didn't want the others picking on them
i have 8 egg layer hens and two other silkies out there one being a silkie roo
she is eating very well and drinking and pooping and loves to snuggle with her sister
thank you and I'll try and get a photo posted later
Terramycin eye ointment can be applied in/to the eye after cleaning as well as possible or rinsing with saline eye wash. Or another antibiotic ointment if ya can't get the terramycin. Let me tag someone that'll know all the questions to ask...
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

Usually in chickens, pus in an eye means conjunctivitis from a sinus infection, possibly from a respiratory disease MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) I would go ahead an try to get some Terramycin eye ointment as @Cedar Creek Farm Lady mentioned, which can be found locked up at most feed stores. Apply it twice a day after cleaning the eye with a clean wet cloth or some inexpensive saline eye wash, found in most Walmarts and Walgreens.

Do you see any signs of a peck to the eyelid or dirt in the eye? If you start seeing more signs of illness (sneezing, wheeze or crackles during breathing, or swelling around an eye,) you may want to try to get an antibiotic from your vet. Tylan and oxytetracycline are 2 that treat MG. Hopeully, it will go away. Here is a good link with most respiratory and other common diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom