My silkie has an eye infection

Speakeasychicks

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
My 7 month old silkie Cha cha has a bad eye infection, I first noticed dry crusty skin on her face and just thought it was dry...( I am a first time chicken mom since March) I have had the worst luck! First our rooster my sons favorite chicken was eaten by the dog,( he went in the kennel 🤦🏼‍♀️) Then of course he wanted more so he ripped off the run door and got honey, who I saved, her leg was broke, she still walks funny over 2 months later, but keeps up with every one, then we lost my daughter's favorite 5 week old chick, no clue why it died, i cried more than the kids and gave her a proper burial. I then saw blood in the coop and freaked out called 13 vets and no one would see my chickens, thank God for the poop chart on this sight! Turns out it was intestinal shedding🤓 now my silkies eyes are jacked up! Oh and I should mention I have still not gotten eggs 😜 I found a vet this time to see chacha and after 4 prescriptions and $200 later for my $3 chicken, I still don't think the vet knows what it is, maybe some of you experts can help😊
Sorry that was long....

Even her ear looks swollen and not the normal blue, one eye was totally shut the other crusty...

Attachments

• 20200918_133135.jpg
    20200918_133135.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 110
Eye infections are usually related to respiratory disease.
What 4 prescriptions did you get?

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Crusty eyes in birds can be caused by several things ranging from respiratory diseases to environmental issues, injuries directly to the eye, or fungal infections.

Besides the eye, is the hen exhibiting any other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, or rattled breathing? Could you name the four prescriptions the vet gave you? What else has been done so far regarding treatment? Is the hen eating/drinking well? What kind of area is she being kept in during the day?

When I see a bird with a bad eye infection, I start off by performing a menace reaction, which basically consists of moving one hand slowly towards her eye and looking for a reaction. She should move her head back in an attempt to dodge your hand, but if she doesn't, most likely he eyesight is deteriorating in health.

As of now, I would try flushing the eye copiously with either saline or eyewash, wiping off any gunk with a damp towel, then applying either an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin.

Have you notice any lice or mites on her?

I agree with @Isaac 0 I would start with flushing the eye an applying an ointment.
That crusty skin, is it only on her face/ears or do you see it elsewhere on the body?
Can you take a look inside her ear to see if there's infection?

Eye infections are usually related to respiratory disease.
What 4 prescriptions did you get?
I took a picture of them, drops, antibiotics, pain and inflation and one more😬 he said her breathing sounded good...

Attachments

• 20200918_162041.jpg
    20200918_162041.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 36

Crusty eyes in birds can be caused by several things ranging from respiratory diseases to environmental issues, injuries directly to the eye, or fungal infections.

Besides the eye, is the hen exhibiting any other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, or rattled breathing? Could you name the four prescriptions the vet gave you? What else has been done so far regarding treatment? Is the hen eating/drinking well? What kind of area is she being kept in during the day?

When I see a bird with a bad eye infection, I start off by performing a menace reaction, which basically consists of moving one hand slowly towards her eye and looking for a reaction. She should move her head back in an attempt to dodge your hand, but if she doesn't, most likely he eyesight is deteriorating in health.

As of now, I would try flushing the eye copiously with either saline or eyewash, wiping off any gunk with a damp towel, then applying either an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin.
All very helpful!! Vetvsaid her actual eyes look good, not damaged, her breathing is good, no sneezing or anything from her nose, and she eats fine, she was almost 9 lbs. The run is sand and i clean it often, and she is in my backyard which is manicured with all fresh herbs for the chickens to eat. I'm thinking fungal....? She already had an extra pep in her step after day 1 of treatment, but her ear still looks bad, its not even blue, its swollen and pink!😞

Have you notice any lice or mites on her?

I agree with @Isaac 0 I would start with flushing the eye an applying an ointment.
That crusty skin, is it only on her face/ears or do you see it elsewhere on the body?
Can you take a look inside her ear to see if there's infection?
No pests anywhere on her, I check all them daily, crust is only around eyes and face, specifically on the side in photo. I will just keep doing everything I can and that you all have recommended. Everyone is so helpful on here and I'm so grateful!

I am having a hell of a time getting her to take the pills!!! Fluconazole! I've tried breaking them up with her favorite food, putting them in her mouth, she freaks out! Im so frustrated, and her eye looks worse now today and was swollen shut again with crust, i put the damp warm cloth on it and got it open, put her drops in, i need to go get neosporin , do I put that actually over her eye? Or around it, all the gunk is all over and her ear is so swollen. I'm doing my best, thank you.

Can you get some photos of her ear? Is there pus inside of it?
Look inside her beak - any lesions, canker, etc.?

Birds can be stubborn, but I usually just pop medication right inside the beak and they swallow it.

Since you have antibiotic eye drops, then I would only use the Neosporin on the face and around the eye.
Did the vet recommend that you work on removing the crusty parts?

You can't see the name of all the meds in the pic. Can you let us know what they are? I am currently dealing with eye issues as well, this is my first time too!

Back
Top Bottom