My silkie has an eye injury. Not urgent.

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
**Edit for typo**
My sweet waffle fry has hurt her eye somehow. You cant see it very well in the pictures but it looks bloody. I'm thinking her muff may have irritated it? I'm going to trim the feathers around her eye and see if that helps. Could she have gotten pecked?
She's keeping it closed most of the time. She acts like she's in pain😔

Attachments

• 20210921_090852.jpg
    20210921_090852.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210921_090919.jpg
    20210921_090919.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210921_090928.jpg
    20210921_090928.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The eye has bubbles and yellow drainage, which could be from a possible respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma, or a peck to the eye. I would flush the eye with saline or eye wash twice a day and follow up with Terramycin eye ointment. That can be found in small tubes at feed stores, but ask a clerk for it. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used if you cannot get Terramycin. Have you added any new birds recently?

Closed eye when the other eye seems fine signals pain. The face fluff might have irritated the eye, but it wouldn't cause significant pain as she seems to be experiencing. So I would suspect a pecking injury.

As @Eggcessive says, first aid involves flushing with eye wash or dry eye drops twice a day and putting a dab of terramycin in the eye twice daily until it's healed.

You might want to observe the flock to see if she's being singled out for bullying. This can be an escalating issue that needs addressing.

The eye has bubbles and yellow drainage, which could be from a possible respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma, or a peck to the eye. I would flush the eye with saline or eye wash twice a day and follow up with Terramycin eye ointment. That can be found in small tubes at feed stores, but ask a clerk for it. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used if you cannot get Terramycin. Have you added any new birds recently?
I have added 2 orpington bantams over the weekend but both are very healthy. I have plain neosporin to use.

Closed eye when the other eye seems fine signals pain. The face fluff might have irritated the eye, but it wouldn't cause significant pain as she seems to be experiencing. So I would suspect a pecking injury.

As @Eggcessive says, first aid involves flushing with eye wash or dry eye drops twice a day and putting a dab of terramycin in the eye twice daily until it's healed.

You might want to observe the flock to see if she's being singled out for bullying. This can be an escalating issue that needs addressing.
I haven't noticed any bullying, (I spend alot of time with them) but she is my most docile girl so it is possible she's getting picked on. I have 2 satin silkie ladies that are quite bossy. Lol

Update: I washed her eye out with some saline last night and got some gunk out of it. It doesn't have any drainage this morning. She is eating and drinking but not very active.

The eyelid seems swollen. I treated again this morning with neosporin. The eye itself seems really dark. She is opening it some. I will try to get a picture. I gave her some nutridrench to help boost her healing. She isn't being picked on that I have observed.

With the swelling and eye drainage, I would clean it with saline, and reapply the ointment twice a day. The dried crust can seal the eye shut. Sometimes pressing around the eyelid can express any pus. Tylosin is available online from jedds.com if you would like to treat for possible MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) It can be common in backyard flocks, and may be brought in by new birds or wild birds. Carriers do not necessarily show symptoms. It can lay dormant for a long time, or show up within a few days after exposure. Here is a link for Tylosin:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

With the swelling and eye drainage, I would clean it with saline, and reapply the ointment twice a day. The dried crust can seal the eye shut. Sometimes pressing around the eyelid can express any pus. Tylosin is available online from jedds.com if you would like to treat for possible MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) It can be common in backyard flocks, and may be brought in by new birds or wild birds. Carriers do not necessarily show symptoms. It can lay dormant for a long time, or show up within a few days after exposure. Here is a link for Tylosin:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thanks! I am doing my best to apply ointment and Wash twice a day but she is fighting me so bad!

Back
Top Bottom