My silkie rooster I’ve had for almost 2 years has never mated with any of my hens and they are almost a year old themselves….

Dany1445

Hatching
Mar 28, 2023
My roo “pebble” will only mate with shoes and dark cloths …. And a special red parrot pillow pet ….. he’s obsessed with it and even if he doesn’t see it for long long periods of time he still refuses to mate with females ….what could I do to fix this issues .he’s practically a hen that doesn’t lay eggs at this point . He doesn’t even dance for the girls but dances for a light post ….. help please ……

My roo “pebble” will only mate with shoes and dark cloths …. And a special red parrot pillow pet ….. he’s obsessed with it and even if he doesn’t see it for long long periods of time he still refuses to mate with females ….what could I do to fix this issues .he’s practically a hen that doesn’t lay eggs at this point . He doesn’t even dance for the girls but dances for a light post ….. help please ……
I'll take him!

I know very little about chickens as of yet but everything I've read makes me wonder what your roo to hen ratio is? Maybe all the hens are to focused on the other roo's that has secluded him from even attempting to mate with them? Or maybe he just doesn't find any interest in your current hens? Also are they different breeds? That may play a part?

two others but they never bother him they seen him as a hen also and the boys didn’t ever try to fight him
Are you sure that they didn’t try to fight him? I have five roosters, and only four of them do their job. The other is the bottom of the rooster pecking order, and the others have not left any hens for him.

I know very little about chickens as of yet but everything I've read makes me wonder what your roo to hen ratio is? Maybe all the hens are to focused on the other roo's that has secluded him from even attempting to mate with them? Or maybe he just doesn't find any interest in your current hens? Also are they different breeds? That may play a part?
I have 2 different breeds black sex link and red sex link and he is a silkie but that usually doesn’t stop chickens from getting their Gigidy on that’s how you get cross breeds on accident lmao I’ve seen a tiny bantam try to mount a Brahma hen lol

Are you sure that they didn’t try to fight him? I have five roosters, and only four of them do their job. The other is the bottom of the rooster pecking order, and the others have not left any hens for him.
I’ve only seen them fight when they were like 5 months old when they started hitting big boi puberty lol I’ve also separated the boys and I’ve also let all the girls and just him out and about for long periods of time and he just dances to the light posts in the flower bed ……he calls the girls and feeds them and they preen him but he just doesn’t do anything with them .

I’ve only seen them fight when they were like 5 months old when they started hitting big boi puberty lol I’ve also separated the boys and I’ve also let all the girls and just him out and about for long periods of time and he just dances to the light posts in the flower bed ……he calls the girls and feeds them and they preen him but he just doesn’t do anything with them .
It sounds like they settled the pecking order back then and he might be on the bottom. Maybe he's still apprehensive of mating the hens for fear of getting a whooping?

Back
Top Bottom