My Silkies are abusing my new additions (advise needed)

myblackf150

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Evington, VA
Here is the deal. I have 2 Black Silkie hens & 1 White Leghorn hen. I was given a Golden Commet hen to add to this group yesterday. When I first added the new hen to the lot the Silkies went mad with it. They keep chasing the new hen all over the lot and sometimes keeping her contained in the coop. The Silkies dont seam to have any issue with the Leghorn. I am also concerned since I have some 2 month old chicks seperated out but I have noticed the Silkies showing aggression toward them and I am concerned about how they will react with the little ones when I put them in the coop. I really like the Silkies and they are producing eggs almost every day. They are the smallest chickens but they are in charge. Can anyone help me with what I need to do to help my chickens get along. "Why cant they all just get along?"

Thanks for any help!

It is easier for the newbies, if you add two, rather than one, so they have a friend with them. Give them a few days to get used to each other and things should calm down. They need to reestablish the pecking order.

Quote:
I was having the same problem trying to add new 7 week old birds to my flock of 10 week olds. Someone told me about some stuff you can buy at the feed store that you rub all over their head,neck and back. It taste and smells bad making the other birds want to leave the new ones alone. Than after a while they get useto them. I bought the stuff put it all over the birds and put them in the coop. At first the larger birds went after than but after the first peck they ran the other way. We will see if it still works today. I hate to see chickens or chicks getting picked on! Ill look at the bottle later and post what its called

I would cage them next to each other (even put a small wire cage containing the babies in with the larger flock) for several days. This way they can see and hear each other without danger of injury. Then when you think it's safe, put the small ones in with the large ones at night after all have gone to sleep. This way they wake up with each other and it causes less stress. I've had very good success with this method.

Back
Top Bottom