My silkies are duds!! LOL

Tsmith1414

Songster
May 13, 2021
Please tell me these silkies will get it soon?!!! Our silkies are 11-12 weeks old. They were housed in the coop only for a few days to help them understand this is home and where to return to for nighttime. This is our third full week outside with the attached run. They are using the ramp in/out during the day like champs. However, they refuse to use it in the evenings to be locked up. We don’t have the large walk in run built yet so right now it’s a couple of 4ft high runs which I have to army crawl my way into and guide them up the ramp into the coop. The other girls of different breeds have it all figured out. Love them but don’t love the army crawl ritual we have right now. Any suggestions / advise is most welcome.

Hair cuts might help?
Larger, longer wider ramp might help?
Use wood instead of a ramp so its more like steps?

I am willing to try anything so I don't have to army crawl each night.

Attachments

• 284212024_10159053931504065_4663448547345869910_n.jpg
    284212024_10159053931504065_4663448547345869910_n.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 283932926_10159053931044065_2727153570027086752_n.jpg
    283932926_10159053931044065_2727153570027086752_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
Is where they choose to sleep a problem? Is it dangerous for them with predators? Try to hurry up your expansion project.

Why not let them sleep where they choose.

Some good advice may be to put a lamp inside the coop, maybe they dont like going in the dark at night. But they also may feel stuffy, who knows why the chicken wont go in.

I have three coops and still the hens want to sleep in my house above our bed.

Is where they choose to sleep a problem? Is it dangerous for them with predators? Try to hurry up your expansion project.

Why not let them sleep where they choose.

Some good advice may be to put a lamp inside the coop, maybe they dont like going in the dark at night. But they also may feel stuffy, who knows why the chicken wont go in.

I have three coops and still the hens want to sleep in my house above our bed.
While it’s got hardware cloth all around, we live in a high predator area. We have a large coyote presence and even a trail they have made on our back acreage. They travel our land too frequently to make us feel comfortable having them in the run during the night. The walk in area would really just make it easier for me and likely not improve them returning to the coop. I think it’s too dark and possible stuffy so going to modify that this weekend along with the ramp and see how it goes.

While it’s got hardware cloth all around, we live in a high predator area. We have a large coyote presence and even a trail they have made on our back acreage. They travel our land too frequently to make us feel comfortable having them in the run during the night. The walk in area would really just make it easier for me and likely not improve them returning to the coop. I think it’s too dark and possible stuffy so going to modify that this weekend along with the ramp and see how it goes.
Yea i figured you worry for their safety. Unfortunately there is really no way to guarantee they go in when they can just as easily lay outside. A haircut wont do it. But cool flock you have. You have to keep movong them in yourself. I have to get a ladder every night to get my hens out of our ceiling, and i get covered in mites. I guess it could be worse than crawling.

Update- so the haircut helped a lot. Didn’t make them go back in but we were able to coral them to the ramp and they would go up on their own.

Try locking them in the coop for two weeks. I often have this problem of new birds not going in a coop when they're not used to the place. It's normal.

If you're looking to modify the ramp, the grips are kinda high. Cutting them down might be helpful. ;)

Do you have a light in the coop? I can't claim to have chickens that are perfectly trained to go to bed 100% of the time, but a light that stays on in the coop when it's starting to get dark has definitely helped in my case to stop them from all being outside all the time. Helps them see the ramp and helps get their attention focused on the indoor area.

Once chickens are homed to a coop (locked in for 2 weeks) they will go in at night unless something is not safe or not comfortable in the coop. For your silkies it sounds like you are making progress and they will be in the habit of going in for the night soon. Homing them to a coop might happen by walking them up the ramp each night. For others who are struggling to get their birds in a coop please take a look at your set ups and see how they can be improved. If the coop looks good, close your door for a few days to rehome them to the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom