My silkies are duds!! LOL

Try locking them in the coop for two weeks. I often have this problem of new birds not going in a coop when they're not used to the place. It's normal.

If you're looking to modify the ramp, the grips are kinda high. Cutting them down might be helpful. ;)
Thank you. I will try this. They were locked up for almost a week prior to this but might have to go back to it.

Do you have a light in the coop? I can't claim to have chickens that are perfectly trained to go to bed 100% of the time, but a light that stays on in the coop when it's starting to get dark has definitely helped in my case to stop them from all being outside all the time. Helps them see the ramp and helps get their attention focused on the indoor area.
I don’t have that but will add one. Our other hens in the other set up went right up from the beginning so I am new to this trouble shooting. Thank you. This is a great idea.

Once chickens are homed to a coop (locked in for 2 weeks) they will go in at night unless something is not safe or not comfortable in the coop. For your silkies it sounds like you are making progress and they will be in the habit of going in for the night soon. Homing them to a coop might happen by walking them up the ramp each night. For others who are struggling to get their birds in a coop please take a look at your set ups and see how they can be improved. If the coop looks good, close your door for a few days to rehome them to the coop.
Thank you. We had them in the coop for almost a week in the beginning. We will try some modifications suggested. We did give them a haircut and that seemed to help. If nothing starts improving back to the basics of closing the door for a couple of days.

I just looked at the picture of your birds and coop again. How large is your coop? How many birds are trying to roost in there? It may be that the silkies are not comfortable in a coop that size with that many birds.

Coop is 6x8. 1 4ft roosting bar at 8inch off ground. 1 5ft roosting bar at 18in off ground. 1 6ft bar at 30in of ground. Silkies sleep in one of the nesting boxes right now inside coop. Mixed breeds use the roosting bars. Roosting bars are built as a stair step/ ladder.

Currently we have 12 11/12 week silkies and 4 mixed breed pullets at 10 weeks. Once we can determine roosters we will start the lessening the # of the silkies as needed.

Back
Top Bottom