My silkies are not very friendly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wilhiteranch, Jun 15, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    I have 2 silkies and 2 RIR'S they are ruffly 5 weeks old. My reds are very friendly but the silkies are not. I was under the impression that silkies were friendly. I'm new at chickens.. And not sure how to coax them into being friendly [​IMG]

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My silkie hens are very sweet BUT I have NEVER had a nice silkie rooster.

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Mine are all sweethearts. Roos too. The silkies run up to me as fast as any of my other girls, mostly wanting treats [​IMG]

Try treats like strawberries, watermelon rinds, etc.

That and they can't always see me coming, so I do startle the silkies sometimes [​IMG]

4. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 11 red stars and they all come running and crowd and jump up at me. My silkies are a bit newer, but they are starting to come running as well. My silkie roo is nasty to the redstars, but a sweetheart to his two silkie girls...he will take food from me and give it to the hens...and he waits till they have eaten and then he eats... Still they are not as friendly as the red stars...but I am chalking that up to not being used to me yet...*shrug*

Oh and the one...she is super broody right now and actually really beotchy....

5. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    my silkie roo lets 2 y/o kids carry him around [​IMG] i luv him!

6. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I found that to be the case also. I bought 4 silkies, from 2 different breeders, and 5 chicks from the feed store. The feed store chicks are climbing over each other to get to us, the silkies, not so much. But the silkies go limp when we pick them up, the store bought chicks go crazy, and we've handled them daily from the beginning. I think silkies tend to be more docile over all, and maybe what we mistake for affection is just the other chickens treating us like the top rooster. Either way it's nice to walk out and have such a warm reception:)

7. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    we have 2 silkies also, one is almost 5 wks (Piper), and the other is 4 wks (Louise). we had nasty bouts of pasty butt with Louise [​IMG], so she is a little wary of us still, the big scary people who kept giving he chicken sitz baths! neither want to be held like our other four did at this age, 2 EE, 1 RIR, and Tammy( no one knows what she is). but they are very close to each other, 2 peas in a pod, we're hoping the more time we spend with them that they'll start to warm up. our other silkie issue is the 4 "big" girls, who are 8 and 9 wks old hate [​IMG] the little ones, we really have no idea how to integrate them into the flock [​IMG] , they seem happiest to just be together. anyway good luck with yours!

8. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    I will try coaxing with treats :0)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by