my silkies ... white and fluffy... hatched sept. 12, 2014... roosters...

Sadly that is what happens often with straight run purchases but, any day old chick is a gamble as far as sex is concerned - unless you buy one of the sex link types of layers.

Silkies add a whole new dimension to that. Silkies are extremely hard to sex before 4-5 mo. even by expert breeders. Sometimes you have to wait till they either crow or lay eggs.

If someone tries to tell you they have sexed silkies younger than that, I would walk away. My friend has had silkies for many years. When she bought 5 mos. pullets - they were definite girls. when she bought younger - she had males. Lately she took in a rescue silkie that the people swore was a female. Guess what - it crows. She can't have roosters in her area.

I love my silkies! I have a white rooster and a black hen and I want more. I ordered what I thought were going to be silkies but I got something else then it was too late in the season to get any more. Was there a reason you didn't want so many roosters? Where are you from?
I'm close to Cincinnati. The roosters crow at each other like they are competing and well, I guess they are. I don't have enough hens to warrant so many roosters. Fortunately, I am in the country, so it's not a big problem, but I would rather find homes for them where they are needed. I still have them in my house in tubs, so it's time consuming feeding two at a time separately when there's 15 birds. I have two coops, my big hens , and seabrites and polish in another, plus a big brooder and run out back (it's empty, waiting on me to put my silkies into their home). I also feed my neighbor's cats, so it's just a bit too much work for me.

Sadly that is what happens often with straight run purchases  but, any day old chick is a gamble as far as sex is concerned - unless you buy one of the sex link types of layers.

Silkies add a whole new dimension to that.  Silkies are extremely hard to sex before 4-5 mo. even by expert breeders.  Sometimes you have to wait till they either crow or lay eggs.

If someone tries to tell you they have sexed silkies younger than that, I would walk away.   My friend has had silkies for many years.  When she bought 5 mos. pullets - they were definite girls.  when she bought younger - she had males.   Lately she took in a rescue silkie that  the people swore was a female.   Guess what - it crows.  She can't have roosters in her area.
I recently sold two females, they are right at 4 months old and seriously, I'm not sure they are girls. They have the ball of puff hair that doesn't sweep back like the boys. I just told the girl, if they start crowing, bring them back. I'll make good on the deal.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

I had my black silkie in my art studio off our bedroom because she had an eye problem. This was before all this cold weather. All of a sudden, VERY early, we heard a god-awful screech ! She crows! She did every morning I had her inside! My husband was not happy.

Back
Top Bottom