My silky has had her wing ripped off by a dog. What should I do

jon011784

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
This happened last night
Is there anything special I should do I am confuse some say cover it and use Neosporin some says don’t cover it and do not use anabiotic ointment
There is not enough skin around the joint to pull up around the bone
It was Ripped off right at the shoulder joint
If I just keep it clean will it forms scar tissue over the bone area?

I’m sorry this happened. We’ve seen this before on a rooster whose wing was torn off by a raccoon. Family dog killed said raccoon and brought injured rooster to owner. I don’t recall the outcome, but I think he survived. I’ll try to find the thread.

Please take some pictures of the injury. That will improve the advice you get, plus being able to see what's being treated rather than just having an idea, will be extremely helpful to those who are able to help

on that other thread with Rio the rooster I saw someone suggest Honey, which reminded me of a Youtube channel called vet ranch and I saw many times when a dog or cat had a severe wound where a lot of skin was missing and they would clean it and pack the wound with pure granulated sugar then wrap it snuggly (but not too tightly) and it would help heal it nicely. "The sugar naturally present in honey has the effect of drawing water out of damaged tissues (known as an osmotic effect). This reduces swelling and encourages the flow of lymph to heal the wound. Sugar also draws water out of bacterial cells, which can help keep them from multiplying." ^^ and pure sugar does the same thing as honey.

edit: (warning graphic video shows large neck wound on dog) here is a video showing how to do it

Last edited:
This happened last night
Is there anything special I should do I am confuse some say cover it and use Neosporin some says don’t cover it and do not use anabiotic ointment
There is not enough skin around the joint to pull up around the bone
It was Ripped off right at the shoulder joint
If I just keep it clean will it forms scar tissue over the bone area?
Is there any bone exposed? A good thing to use to disinfect a wound is chlorhexidene or Hibiclens mixed in half with water. Then apply the plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Keep the chicken separated in a dog crate with a clean old towel so that she is not picked on. If you can get antibiotics, that might be helpful to give to prevent infection in the bone. Cephalexin or Clindamycin would be a good choice. Let us know how the chick gets along.

Back
Top Bottom