My silver grey dorking

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scgamecock, Feb 7, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Here's a picture of my sgd on the roost.She is huge, the picture doesn't do her justice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    She's beautiful - love the silver coloring. I've read that they lay all winter and molt in the summer - is this true?

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Nice to see a pic of a Dorking that has the proper body structure.

4. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I'm not sure on the molting.She's only 10 months old so I guess I'll find out this summer.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    She is beautiful. A perfect picture.
    I have an order for 5 pullets and 1 roo. I wanted to try them because I prefer the heavy breeds. Any advise on them?

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Very nice bird.

I originally considered them for my flock but the big comb scares me off as I worry about frost bite.

Julie [​IMG]

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    She's no different than any other chickens I have.She gets along very well with the other breeds so I would recommend one if you want something different.She's the only one I have just like several more breeds I have.I ordered one of about 15 different breeds to try from Ideal last year and she was one of them.She lays a a really nice large white to sometimes tinted egg.Notice the the fifth toe in the picture?It's really neat to watch them walk.

8. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Quote:Not to rub it in but it's been 80 here the last 3 days.[​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've been interested in learning more about Dorkings from someone who has the breed. I've read that they are excellent winter layers - do you find this to be true with yours?

10. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I have 2 sg dorkings. They are wonderful. Short little heavyweights. Extremely talkative, and friendly. They get along really well with everyone else. They have laid all winter long. Not sure about the molt either, as mine are about 9 months old.
    In the summer, they flock with the sshamburgs and head to the trees in the evening. They are funny flyers and seem to just fall helicopter-style out of the tree in the morning, squawking all the way.
    Here's a pic of one of mine--enjoying some yogurt.

[​IMG]

--------------
    16 spoilt chickens, 1 rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by